Eloy Bazan suspected in Lakeside blazes
July 30, 2010 (Lakeside)--An arrest has been made in connection with a series of recent vegetation fires in the Lakeside area. The most recent fire occurred last night near I-8 and Los Coches Road at approximately 10:45 pm. Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire; there was no damage to structures and no one was injured.
Fire Investigators from Cal-Fire, the Lakeside Fire Protection District and United States Fish and Wildlife Service along with Law Enforcement Officers from the San Diego Sheriffs Department and California Highway Patrol worked throughout the night collecting evidence and conducting interviews which led to this morning’s arrest.
"A good Samaritan happened to witness a flare being shot across the freeway prior to the fire starting," Cal-Fire batallion chief Nick Schuler told East County Magazine. "The witness made contact with fire officials, who tracked it back to a homeless encampment where they found used flares, unused flares and a flare gun."
Cal-Fire Unit Chief Howard Windsor said, “Those who are found guilty of intentionally starting fires will be held accountable and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”
The suspect, 49 year old Eloy Bazan, was booked into county jail on two counts of felony arson and a weapons violation. Each count could carry up to six years in prison, Schuler confirmed.
Earlier this morning, he was contacted at his place of employment by fire investigators and law enforcement officers and was questioned in connection with the series of fires. Evidence linking Bazan to the fires was found at the scene and he was subsequently placed under arrest and booked into County Jail.
Andy Parr, Fire Chief of the Lakeside Fire Protection District stated “this was truly a collaborative effort of Fire and Law Enforcement Agencies that led to the arrest of this suspect and I am very proud of all the personnel from these agencies and their cooperative work on this case.”