April 2, 2012 (San Diego) – San Diego has become a hotbed of human trafficking and it includes more than undocumented immigrants. Law enforcement have identified San Diego as an international gateway for sex trafficking and one of the 13 cities in the nation with the highest incidence of child prostitution, including local teens. Forced marriages and modern slavery are also critical issues. Worldwide, trafficking is an estimated $40 billion industry affecting every country.
A coalition of activists is mobilizing to participate in a Day of Action against Human Trafficking in support of 2012’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) to demand the abolishment of human trafficking. The event will take place April 7 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at El Cajon Blvd. and 30th Street, San Diego.
The Radical Feminists of San Diego have gathered together a coalition of organizations and speakers for the event including AF3IRM, Estela de Los Rios of the Center for Social Advocacy, Dilkhwaz Ahmed, M.S. of License to Freedom, Enrique Morones, the founder of Border Angels and many more.
The event will start at noon on the southeast corner of 30th and El Cajon Blvd. and march east ending at the south-side bus stop at the intersection of El Cajon Blvd. and Interstate 15 on-ramp. There the human rights advocates will speak about their own fight against human trafficking.
Speakers and topics include:
- Af3rm San Diego: "Purple Rose Campaign, Sex trafficking on a Transnational Level"
- Estela de Los Rios, Executive Director for the Center for Social Advocacy
- Dilkhwaz Ahmed, M.S, Executive Director for License to Freedom:"Forced Marriage and Torture in the Middle Eastern Culture "
- Enrique Morones, Founder of Border Angels: "Immigration and Trafficking"
- Rachel Irby, Executive Director and co-founder of Unchained in Arizona:"The grooming of victims by PIMPS into the industry and its psychological effects and trauma"
- Phil Cendella, National Association of Human Trafficking Victim Advocates: "Services, Shelter and Support for survivors and how San Diego should step up"
- Various LGBTQ advocacy groups on the rising issue of Sex Exploitation among LGBTQ youth.
Visit https://www.facebook.com/events/277032739021525/ for additional information.