November 27, 2013 (San Diego) – The holiday season isn't all twinkling lights and home-baked pies. Did you know that household hazards and preventable damages peak significantly in the holiday season? For example, on average, there are three times more turkey fryer claims during the holiday season than any other time of the year. The median cost for turkey fryer-related claims is almost $29,000.
Many holiday traditions — including decorating trees, stringing electric lights, lighting candles and preparing elaborate meals — can pose risks if not handled properly.
That's why Allstate has just launched Holiday Home Hazards, a new campaign to bring awareness to safety and home loss prevention during the holiday season by determining the most prevalent home safety risks.
Some other holiday risks:
- Home fire claims jump 15 percent during the holiday season.
- Candles are the most likely holiday-related cause of a home fire. In fact, Christmas week is among the top three weeks of the year for candle-related claims. The median cost for candle-related claims is almost $50,000.
- On average, there are three times more turkey fryer claims during the holiday season than any other time of the year. The median cost for turkey fryer-related claims is almost $29,000.
- Around New Year's Eve, there are nearly twice as many claims caused by fireworks. The median cost for fireworks-related claims is nearly $14,000.
- Christmas trees are another holiday-related fire hazard that may result in costly damages. The median cost for Christmas tree-related claims is more than $100,000.
- Since 2008, the most costly holiday fire involved an artificial Christmas tree in the homeowners' living room. The total loss amount cost nearly $2.4 million.
You can find more details, statistics and tips on how to prevent these holiday hazards in this report.