July 19, 2019 (San Diego’s East County) -- Crews will close various connectors along Interstate 8 (I-8) in the mountain areas of eastern San Diego County weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for pavement work, according to CalTrans. Full closures will take place at one intersection at a time in the coming week as follows:
- Monday: I-8 at eastbound State Route 79 (SR-79)/Japatul Valley Road off-ramp and westbound SR-79/Japatul Valley Road on-ramp.
- Tuesday: I-8 at westbound Pine Valley Road off- and on-ramps.
- Wednesday: I-8 at eastbound Sunrise Highway off-ramp and partial closure at the eastbound Sunrise Hwy on-ramp.
- Thursday: I-8 at westbound Sunrise Highway on-ramp and eastbound Sunrise Highway on-ramp.
- Friday: I-8 at westbound Sunrise Highway off-ramp.
Signs will be placed on I-8 ahead of the closure locations to alert motorists and to give drivers the opportunity to use the preceding off-ramp to travel around the closure. Signs will also be placed at work locations three days prior to the closure to give notice about upcoming work.
The work is part of a construction project to repave 38 ramps along I-8 from the I-8/State Route 163 connectors in Mission Valley to just east of Kitchen Creek Road in Pine Valley. Work began in May in Mission Valley and will progress eastward with completion expected at the end of August.
The work schedule is subject to change due to traffic incidents, weather, availability of equipment and materials, or construction-related issues.
For real-time traffic information including traffic speed, lane and road closures due to construction and maintenance activities, and more, go to
Follow @SDCaltrans on Twitter at for news related to state transportation in San Diego and Imperial counties. and like Caltrans District 11 on Facebook at