East County News Service
December 4, 2017 (San Diego’s East County) – You’re invited to join cyclists spreading holiday cheer at the San Diego County Bike Coalition's 7th Annual Holiday Joy Ride. In honor of the Bike Coalition’s 1987 inception and 30 years as San Diego’s only countywide bike advocacy organization, a parade of two-wheeled travelers will combine fake mullets with tinsel, bells and bikes wrapped like presents.
After the festive spectacle, the organization will present its Golden Gear Awards to local two-wheeled heroes including Lakeside residents David and Nancy Nichols and La Mesan Pauline Callahan, volunteers of the year.
WHY: According to the Bike Coalition, 2017 has been a year of great progress toward making San Diego a better place for people to ride bikes. Other 2017 Golden Gear award winners include:
- Advocate of the Year – Michael Brennan, Hillcrest resident
- Bicycle-Friendly Business of the Year – Mission Brewery
- Community Partner of the Year – Bike the Bay Organizing Committee
- Educator of the Year – Francisco Contreras, Encanto resident
- Elected Official of the Year – District 8 City Councilmember David Alvarez
- Public Partner of the Year – City of Chula Vista
- Volunteers of the Year – David and Nancy Nichols, Lakeside residents and Dan
- Pauline Callahan, La Mesa residents
WHEN & WHERE:
- Thursday, December 7
- 5:30 p.m. – Registration begins at Panama 66
- 1450 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101
- 6 p.m. – Joy Ride begins
- 7 p.m. – Rider return and Golden Gear Awards begin
Tickets can be purchased here and profits benefit the San Diego County Bike Coalition.