Show love for your Valentine and the planet with eco-friendly tips from Waste Management of Southern California
February 9, 2015 (San Diego’s East County)--Valentine’s Day is almost here and with hundreds of millions of cards, boxes of chocolates and bouquets expected to exchange hands this year, Waste Management of Southern California is encouraging community members to consider simple alternatives that not only express the spirit of the holiday but also make it a little greener.
“We each play an important role in helping to conserve natural resources and reduce the amount of waste we create,” said Eloisa Orozco, spokesperson for Waste Management of Southern California. “Consider getting a little creative at home to reduce your carbon footprint and make green the new red this Valentine’s Day.”
Everyone can sweeten their holiday while giving back to the environment with a few of these simple alternative Valentine’s Day gifts:
- Valentine’s Cards: Send your loved one an eCard, recycled-content card or make one by hand using materials you have at home. All of these options reduce waste and can add a more personal touch. Be sure to recycle used cards or save them for next year.
- Plant a tree or flowers: Consider planting a tree or flowers for your significant other instead of giving cut bouquets. If flowers are non-negotiable, look for potted flowers like orchids or organic flowers that were grown without pesticides. Potted plants and flowers in and around the home scrub the air of toxins, leaving clean, breathable oxygen and brighten up interior décor.
- Home-Cooked Meals: Set the stage for romance and enjoy a romantic night and cook for your loved one at home this year. By doing this, you can ensure that your meal is healthy for both you and the environment with little waste.
- Chocolate: If your Valentine has a sweet tooth, consider purchasing eco-friendly and organic chocolates that are good for both the environment and your sweet tooth.
- Jewelry: Surprise your loved one with antique or eco-friendly jewelry. Finding a piece of jewelry that reflects your significant other’s personality and also has a touching history will leave the wearer feeling all-the-more special.
- Green Date: Instead of packing-in to a busy restaurant or movie theater, take your special someone on a “green” date. Go for a picnic on the beach with reusable containers, bike somewhere new or hike around an interesting park to create lasting memories.
about waste management
Waste Management, based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management visit www.wm.com or www.thinkgreen.com.