Photo: U.S. Supreme Court, by D.B. King via Wikimedia Commons
Reprinted from Times of San Diego, a member of the San Diego Online News Association
February 26, 2018 (San Diego) -- San Diego’s estimated 45,000 Dreamers got a reprieve from possible deportation Monday when the Supreme Court refused to hear a Trump administration challenge.
The court declined to overrule a lower court’s action that temporarily blocked ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program on March 5.
The program, which allows immigrants brought to America illegally as children to live and work in the country, was terminated by President Trump last year, leaving it up to Congress to pass permanent protections.
The case now goes to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on the West Coast. “It is assumed that the court of appeals will proceed expeditiously to decide this case,” the Supreme Court said.
Congress has been negotiating permanent protection for the Dreamers, but has been unable to reach an agreement. Trump has called for protections to be coupled with funding for his proposed border wall and changes to the immigration system.
The San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce has said that deporting San Diego’s Dreamers would be disastrous for the local economy.