SDSU fails to overcome the nationally ranked Big Green
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
March 19, 2017 (San Diego) - he San Diego State women’s tennis team fell to 37th-ranked Dartmouth College on Sunday afternoon at the Aztec Tennis Center. The Aztecs fell to the Big Green in close doubles matches and were unable to make up the points in singles play.
Doubles play began with a Dartmouth victory on court one where Taylor Ng and Christina Mathis defeated Jana Buth Paola Diaz, 6-3. Third seed duo Alli Valk and Olivia Larsson edged a win over Jacqueline Crawford and Allison McCann, 7-5, but the Big Green’s Julia Schroeder and Racquel Lyn moved past Kennedy Davis and Mia Smith on court two, 7-5, to claim the doubles point for Dartmouth.
In singles action, Ng took down Buth in two sets in the top seed, 6-2, 6-3, while Schroeder defeated Smith, 6-4, 6-1 on court four. Diaz put the Aztecs back in the race with her 6-4, 6-0 victory over Mathis, but Lyn finished off Berta Acero, 6-3, 6-3, on court five to claim the dual for the Big Green.
Davis continued her battle in the second seed against Crawford, eventually claiming a 6-2, 5-7, 10-4 win over her opponent, making this Davis’s fourth consecutive singles victory. In the final match, McCann finished off Larsson, 6-2, 6-4, on court six.
Following today’s loss, the Aztecs move their season mark to 5-12. Up next, SDSU will face Princeton on Friday, March 24, with first serve set for 2 p.m. at the Aztec Tennis Center.
No. 37 Dartmouth College 5, San Diego State 2
Aztec Tennis Center (San Diego, Calif.)
March 19, 2017
1. Taylor Ng/Christina Mathis (DMC) def. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-3
2. Julia Schroeder/Racquel Lyn (DMC) def. Kennedy Davis/Mia Smith (SDSU) 7-5
3. Alli Valk/Olivia Larsson (SDSU) def. Jacqueline Crawford/Allison McCann (DMC) 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
DMC claims doubles point
1. Taylor Ng (DMC) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kennedy Davis (SDSU) def. Jacqueline Crawford (DMC) 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
3. Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Christina Mathis (DMC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Julia Schroeder (DMC) def. Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Racquel Lyn (DMC) def. Berta Acero (SDSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Allison McCann (DMC) def. Olivia Larsson (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5*, 6, 2
Match clinching victory