East County News Service
An independent panel of local doctors addressed COVID-19 misinformation brought up by some public speakers at the Nov. 2 County Board of Supervisors meeting. View video in English and Spanish.
Among the facts presented:
- The American Academy of Pediatrics has strongly endorsed immunizing young children against COVID-19.
- Several thousand U.S. children have gotten multi-system inflammatory syndrome (MSIS) from COVID, which causes long-term organ damage.
- Children are getting long-term COVID symptoms such as brain damage/trouble concentrating.
- 94 kids ages 5-11 have died of COVID in the U.S. There have been more deaths in pediatrics from COVID in the past year than is usually seen in a year from flu.
- Children are just as likely to get infected with COVID as adults and can transmit it to family members or others.
- Even a mild case of COVID means lost school time to quarantine, which can set children back in their education.
- No children have died of COVID vaccines.
- No cases of heart inflammation after COVID vaccines were found in any of the children ages 5-11 during testing.
- Testing found the vaccines to be extremely safe for children ages 5-11.
- The Pfizer COVID vaccine for children ages 5-11 is only one-third the dose that adults or teens receive.