Aztecs fall to the Bulldogs on Senior Day
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
April 13, 2017 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis hoped for home court advantage at today’s contest against Mountain West opponent Fresno State, but the Aztecs could not get past the Bulldogs and ended the day at the Aztec Tennis Center with a 6-1 loss.
Fresno State started the dual strong by claiming two of three doubles matches back-to-back. Seniors Taylor Lederman and Olivia Larsson faced Katerina Stloukalova and Olivia Noble on court three, where they fell to the ‘Dogs 6-3. On court one, juniors Jana Buth and Paola Diaz struggled to overcome Georgia Lawson and Emma Wilson, dropping the match 6-2 and allowing Fresno State to hold an advantage heading into singles. Play on the second court finished shortly after, where senior Kennedy Davis and freshman Mia Smith were able to collect a doubles victory over Juliane Triebe and Galina Bykova, 6-3.
In singles action, Smith took on Lawson on court five where she eventually fell 6-2, 6-4. In the No. 3 spot, Diaz kept her sets close but Triebe ultimately claimed the win, 6-4, 6-4. With the Bulldogs at 3-0, Larsson came through with a point for the Aztecs, claiming a 7-6 (2), 7-5 win on Senior Day over Noble in the sixth-seeded match.
Unfortunately, SDSU was not successful in any of its three remaining matches, as Stloukalova edged Buth, 7-5, 6-4, in the one seed, while Lederman dropped the deciding match to Bykova, 5-7, 6-0, 6-2. Davis also eventually fell in a lengthy third set to Wilson, 6-7 (3), 6-3, 7-5.
Following today’s loss, the Aztecs (5-16, 0-3) close out the regular season next Saturday, April 22, at conference opponent San Jose State. SDSU then heads to the Mountain West Championship tournament in Las Vegas, Nev., which begins Thursday, April 27.
Fresno State 6, San Diego State 1
Aztec Tennis Center
April 13, 2017
1. Georgia Lawson/Emma Wilson (FS) def. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-2
2. Kennedy Davis/Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Juliane Triebe/Galina Bykova (FS) 6-3
3. Katerina Stloukalova/Olivia Noble (FS) def. Taylor Lederman/Olivia Larsson (SDSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
FS claims doubles point
1. Katerina Stloukalova (FS) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Emma Wilson (FS) def. Kennedy Davis (SDSU) 6-7 (3), 6-3, 7-5
3. Juliane Triebe (FS) def. Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Galina Bykova (FS) def. Taylor Lederman (SDSU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
5. Georgia Lawson (FS) def. Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Olivia Larsson (SDSU) def. Olivia Noble (FS) 7-6 (2), 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 3, 6, 1, 4*, 2
*Match clinching victory