Skip navigation.
Home

George Jakubec




“BOMB HOUSE” INVESTIGATION COSTS OVER HALF MILLION DOLLARS

 

 

February 3, 2011 (Escondido) – San Diego Sheriff Bill Gore has released departmental expenses associated with the investigation of the “bomb house” at 1954 Via Scott in Escondido. Expenses for the investigation, which culminated in burning down the home filled with the largest stash of home-made explosives ever found on U.S. soil, cost taxpayers $541,242.

TESTS CONCLUDED FOR EXPLOSIVE-LADEN ESCONDIDO HOME


Tests Show Air Quality Unchanged, Soil Cleanup Completed

 

January 15, 2011 (Escondido)--Results of air quality and soil tests from the Escondido home that came to be known as the “Bomb Factory House” indicate that air quality was not adversely affected by the house’s destruction and that soil removal and cleanup of the property is now complete, San Diego County officials said Thursday.

I-15 REOPENED AFTER “BOMB HOUSE” BURNING IN ESCONDIDO

December 9, 2010 (Escondido) – A controlled burn has destroyed the Escondido home filled with explosives and chemicals used in bomb making. A bomb-arson team ignited the residence on via Scott via remote control shortly before 11 a.m. today.

 

The burn proceeded as planned, albeit with a later start time than previously announced.  A massive blaze swiftly consumed the home, punctuated by popping sounds likely caused by hand grenades and ammunition stored in the premises, Sheriff’s represented Jan Caldwell said.

I-15 TO SHUT DOWN AT 8:30 AM FOR BURNING OF ESCONDIDO “BOMB HOUSE”

 

December 9, 2010 (Escondido) – Final preparations are underway for authorities to burn down the Escondido home at 1954 Via Scott containing a major stash of explosives and bomb-making materials. Authorities are spraying fire-protectant gel on some neighboring homes and knocking on doors in the evacuation area. People within the shelter-in-place zone will be receiving reverse 911 calls at 8 a.m. reminding them to shut doors, windows, and ventilation systems.

The burn is planned to begin at 9 a.m., with I-15 shutting down in both directions 30 minutes earlier. Timing may vary based on weather.

JUDGE DENIES REQUEST TO HALT BURNING OF BOMB HOUSE IN ESCONDIDO

Photos courtesy of San Diego Sheriff Department

December 8, 2010 (Escondido) – A federal judge has denied a final-hour plea by accused bombmaker George Jakubec to halt the burning of the home he rented in Escondido. Authorities plan to proceed tomorrow morning with plans to burn down the residence and the massive stash of explosives and chemicals inside.

MORE THAN 80 HOMES IN EVACUATION AREA, 60+ MORE TO SHELTER-IN-PLACE DURING THURSDAY'S BOMB HOUSE BURNING

 

December 8, 2010 (Escondido) - Authorities have released an updated map showing which properties should be evacuated and which area residents are advised to shelter-in-place during the burning of an Escondido home packed with explosives.  The burn, slated for Thursday morning commencing around 9 a.m., will compel occupants of more than 80 properties to evacuation for the day.  Another 60 or so in the recommended shelter-in-place zone. 

 

To view the map, click here.

BURNING OF ESCONDIDO "BOMB FACTORY" HOUSE NOW SET FOR THURSDAY


I-15 to shut down; shelter to open for evacuees

Map of traffic plan during burn

 

December 7, 2010 (Escondido) – Final preparations are being made to destroy bombs and other hazardous materials iat 1954 Via Scott by burning down the home and its deadly contents on Thursday. (Note: Earlier news reports stated that the burn was set for Wednesday. Thursday is now the correct date.) Residents in the vicinity are being notified to evacuate or, in some cases, shelter-in-place during the burn.

WORK BEGINS IN PREPARATION TO BURN ESCONDIDO BOMB SITE

 

Governor issues emergency declaration; County provides health advice

 

December 2, 2010 (Escondido)--Sheriff’s officials, Sheriff’s Bomb/Arson Unit, Escondido Police and Fire, CHP and CALTRANS met today to discuss evacuation and traffic control plans prior to burning a home containing the largest stash of home-made explosives ever found in the U.S. 

 

The Governor has declared San Diego County an emergency zone, meaning that environmental restrictions are waived. Some residents will be evacuated for the burn, while others are advised to shelter in place. However people with asthma or other respiratory conditions are advised to leave shelter-in-place areas during the burn. If ashes fall on your property, do not handle the ashes. Wash fruits and vegetables from your garden and do not allow children to play in ashes. Follow the health tips and cleanup instructions recommended by the county.    

BOMBS AWAY: AUTHORITIES ANNOUNCE PLANS TO BURN ESCONDIDO HOME FILLED WITH EXPLOSIVES


County declared disaster area; top disaster official seeks state disaster declaration--a move that would waive environmental laws

By Miriam Raftery
November 30, 2010 (Escondido) – An Escondido home described by a prosecutor as a “bomb factory” will be burned down to destroy the largest cache of homemade explosives ever found on U.S. soil. Protective barriers will first be erected around the property at 1954 Via Scott.

ALLEGED BOMB MAKER IN ESCONDIDO HAD LARGEST STASH OF HOME-MADE EXPLOSIVES EVER FOUND IN U.S.; SUSPECT ALSO ACCUSED OF BANK ROBBERIES


Jakubec formerly ran a contracting business in Ramona

 

By Miriam Raftery
 

November 22, 2010 (Escondido)—George Djura Jakubec, 54, pled not guilty today to 28 criminal counts. He is accused of possessing destructive explosive devices and the ingredients to make them, as well as robbing two local banks.
 

Deputy District Attorney Terri Perez told Judge Marshall Hockett that the suspect’s home was “a bomb factory” containing “the largest quantity of these types of homemade explosives at one place in the United States.” Those materials pose “a huge danger to officers and the public,” she said.

“WITCH’S BREW” OF EXPLOSIVES LINKED TO TERRORISM FOUND AT ESCONDIDO HOME


I-15 may be shut down again as officials detonate more powerful explosives

 

By Miriam Raftery

November 20, 2010 (Escondido) – More than nine pounds of Hexamethylene Triperoxide Diamine (HMTD), a powerful explosive used in suicide bombings and terrorist plots including the planned Millennium bombing in L.A., have been discovered by authorities at an Escondido home.

Syndicate content