April 21, 2017 (San Diego) - On Saturday April 29th over three thousand San Diegans are expected to join the People’s Climate March (PCM) at the downtown Waterfront Park under the slogan “Healthy People, Healthy Communities, Healthy Earth”. They will call on local leaders to support a just and rapid transition to 100% clean energy and to oppose federal efforts to roll back climate policies that protect our families. The local march, organized by a coalition of environmental, social justice, labor, student, and faith organizations, takes place in solidarity with the People’s Climate Mobilization on the same day in Washington DC and hundreds of other sister marches around the country and the world. A bicycle valet will be set up to encourage participants to arrive by bike. The event will conclude with entertainment, information booths, a sign contest, and a kid zone with activities.
Speakers will include:
- Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher
- San Diego Councilmember David Alvarez
- Rev. J. Lee Hill, Jr., Senior Pastor, Christian Fellowship Congregational Church (UCC)
- Bobby Wallace of the Barona Band of Mission Indians, Kumeyaay Nation
- Prof. Jeffrey Severinghaus, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Dan Sullivan, President and Founder, Sullivan Solar Power
- Willow Lark and Mukta Kelkar, students at SDSU & UCSD
- Jim Miller, Co-Chair, Environmental Caucus, San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO
WHAT: Over 3,000 San Diegans holding a powerful rally and one mile loop march.
WHEN: Saturday April 29th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
WHO: Elected officials, students, faith leaders, and members of over 50 local organizations including SanDiego350, Sierra Club, Environmental Health Coalition, Alliance San Diego, Surfrider Foundation, Greenlove SDSU, the Catholic Diocese of San Diego, San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council.
WHERE: Waterfront Park, on the western steps of the County Administration Building, 1600 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA, 92101
VISUALS: Musicians, drummers, dancers from Grupo Quetzalhuitzilin de San Diego, zumba dancers, puppets, parachute banners, large painted butterflies, huge colorful banners and more.