Aztecs fall 5-2 to the Cougars
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 10, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team suffered a tough loss Saturday afternoon to Brigham Young 5-2 at the Aztec Tennis Center. This marks the first dropped home match this season for the Aztecs.
SDSU got off to a solid start in doubles action, gaining the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Though seniors Jana Buth and Paola Diaz dropped a close 6-4 match to Mayci Jones and Kate Cusick in the second seed, junior Magda Aubets and freshman Nnena Nadozie claimed a 6-4 victory over Samantha Smith and Polina Malykh on court three. The Aztecs snatched the doubles point with junior Jenny Moinard and sophomore Mia Smith’s 6-4 win over Anastasia Abramyan and Taylah Beckman on court No. 1.
After dropping the doubles point to the Aztecs, BYU bounced back to notch a handful of singles victories right out the game. First, on court two, Aubets struggled to come back against Abramyan, falling 6-0, 6-3. In the No. 5 seed, BYU’s Polina Malykh claimed a 6-2, 6-3 victory over freshman Abbie Mulbarger.
On court six, Smith attempted to keep things close in her first set against Hermehr Kaur, but ultimately got too far back in set two and fell 7-6 (3), 6-2. After dropping her first set, Moinard fought back and claimed sets two and three over BYU’s Madeline Almeida, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3, but soon after, Nadozie was halted in her third set, dropping her match 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-2 to Cusick, who clinched the dual for the Cougars.
The final match on court No. 1 featured intense competition between Buth and Jones, starting off with a seven-point tie break in the first set, but BYU gained the edge with a 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-4 win in the nearly three-hour match.
BYU snapped SDSU’s five-match home win streak with today’s 5-2 victory.
The Aztecs, now 5-2 on the season and halfway through a six-match home stand, return to the ATC tomorrow at noon where they are set to host cross-town foe USD.
Brigham Young 5, San Diego State 2
Feb. 10, 2018
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Jenny Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Anastasia Abramyan/Taylah Beckman (BYU) 6-4
2. Mayci Jones/Kate Cusick (BYU) def. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-4
3. Magda Aubets/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Samantha Smith/Polina Malykh (BYU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Mayci Jones (BYU) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 6-4
2. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Magda Aubets (SDSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Madeline Almeida (BYU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Kate Cusick (BYU) def. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 6-2
5. Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Hermehr Kaur (BYU) def. Mia Smith (SDSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 4*, 1
* Match clinching victory