April 23, 2013 (Spring Valley)—A 5-year-old girl was bitten on the foot by a snake yesterday while playing in a grassy common area of a condo complex at 8700 Spring Canyon Road in the La Presa area of Spring Valley. CAL FIRE/San Miguel Fire District firefighters responded to the call shortly before noon. With help from residents, firefighters from Station 16 located and confirmed it to be a rattlesnake.
The child was transported to Sharp Grossmont where she is receiving anti-venom. "She is doing well, according to the mother," Leonard Villareal with San Miguel Fire told ECM today.
San Diego County Animal Services indicated there was a huge jump in snake calls yesterday. As the weather warms up, the snakes become more active.
Animal Poison Control Center offers several tips to avoid chance encounters with snakes: