May 17, 2011 (San Diego's East County) --Now that tax season is over, it is a great time to ask yourself if you are financially prepared to deal with an emergency.
- Below are tips provided by Heartland Fire.
- Insurance coverage:
- Have you reviewed your policy lately? Does it accurately reflect the value of your home?
- Do you have a copy of your policy with contact information in your disaster kit?
- Do you have appropriate coverage (earthquake,flood, etc.)?
- Does it include additional living expenses if you home is uninhabitable?
- If you are a renter, do you have renter's insurance?
- Do you have photo/video inventory documentation of your personal belongings?
- Do you have a copy of your important documents like your driver's license, social security card, birth certificates, health insurance card, stocks/bonds, deed, will, etc.?
- Do you store your original documents in a fireproof safe, safety deposit box or off site secure location?
- Do you have emergency cash on hand?
These are the questions that you should ask yourself before the Santa Ana winds start blowing and it is too late. Your recovery from the emergency may greatly depend on your level of preparedness before the emergency happens. Take time now to prepare.
Visit the following websites for preparedness tips: