May 30, 2012 (San Diego) -- The San Diego Housing Federation has announced finalists for its annual affordable housing and community development awards newly named the “Ruby Awards . . . There’s No Place Like Home”. Finalists include individuals, organizations and developers of affordable housing.
Awards will be given in 11 categories at a reception and awards presentation Thursday, June 14 at the Corky McMillin Events Center at the NTC Promenade. Guest Emcee for the event is NBC News in the Morning Anchor Marianne Kushi.
Richard Lawrence, civil rights activist and organizer of the Affordable Housing Coalition, will receive the Federation’s Lifetime Achievement Award.
Affordable Housing Project of the Year -- More Than 50 Units
• The Crossings at Escondido, Urban Housing Communities LLC
• Landings II, Chula Vista, Chelsea Investment Corporation
Affordable Housing Project of the Year -- 50 Units or Fewer
• Riverwalk Apartments, San Diego - Nestor, Affirmed Housing Group
• Orange Villas, Coronado, San Diego Interfaith Housing Foundation
Affordable Housing Project of the Year – Special Needs
• 15th & Commercial, San Diego – East Village, Father Joe’s Villages
• Muncey Manor, Chula Vista, South Bay Community Services
Affordable Housing Project of the Year – Rehabilitation
• Vista Grande Apartments, San Diego – Valencia Park, Wakeland Housing & Development Corporation
• Sorrento Tower, San Diego - Clairemont, RAHD Group
John Craven Memorial Award
• Jeff Graham, Centre City Development Corporation
• Rachel Hurst, City of Coronado
• Barbara Kraber, City of Lemon Grove
• Margery Pierce, City of Oceanside
• Murtaza Baxamusa, San Diego Building Trades—Family Housing Corporation
• Peter Callstrom, Regional Task Force on the Homeless
• James Dunford, MD, City of San Diego
• Jose Lopez, Fox Canyon Neighborhood Association, San Diego
Outstanding Government Agency
• California Housing Finance Agency
• City of Escondido
• City of Lemon Grove
Outstanding Development Partner
• Everyday Energy
• Multi-Cultural Contractors Group
• SWS Engineering
Outstanding Service to Residents
• Catherine Lopez, LifeSTEPS
• Julia Miller, Los Robles de Cortez Apartments, Lakeside
• Resident Services Team, San Diego Community Housing Corporation
Special Recognition Awards
• Caroline Epps, San Diego Interfaith Housing Foundation
• Michelle Rocha, ConAm Management Corporation
• San Diego Affordable Housing Parking Study
• Hortencia Toscano
CSH Supportive Housing Award
• County of San Diego Housing and Community Development
• Lead Provider Organizations for Ending Homelessness in Downtown San Diego Campaign
The festivities begin at 5 p.m. with a Silent Auction. The auction includes gifts of wine, hotel stays, neighborhood packages, tickets to attractions, and Padres game tickets among other items. A list of Silent Auction items will be on-line from June 4 to June 11 for those who cannot attend or want to get a head start on bidding at http://www.housingsandiego.org/wp/.
Event details are available at http://goo.gl/64CBs. Ticket prices, which are $50 for members and $70 for non-members, are discounted until June 8. Table prices are available. Register at www.sdhf2012rubyawards.eventbrite.com.
Sponsorships are still available for the event by contacting Jennifer@housingsandiego.org or calling 619-239-6693.