SDSU holds Bobcats scoreless in Wednesday match
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
March 13, 2019 (San Diego) - San Diego State women's tennis cruised through its dual match on Wednesday afternoon, taking down Quinnipiac University 4-0. With the win, the Aztecs log a second straight match in which they hold their opponent scoreless.
On Wednesday, San Diego State put together two speedy doubles decisions to gain an early edge over the Bobcats, who also played a neutral-site match in San Diego earlier in the day against Southern Utah. Sophomore Nnena Nadozie and freshman Alicia Melosch put together their second straight win as a pair with a 6-2 decision over Dominique Vasile and Jennifer Lu in the top seed. Senior Magda Aubets and sophomore Abbie Mulbarger recorded a 6-2 victory of their own in the third seed against Stephanie Yanosov and Alexandra Mircea. Aubets and Mulbarger are now 2-0 when playing together in doubles this season.
In singles action, Nadozie put up a team-high fifth straight singles win with her 6-0, 6-0 decision over Jennifer Lu in the No. 2 seed. SDSU freshman Agustina Rimoldi Godoy also put together a dominant win, finishing 6-0, 6-1 against Courtney Nash in the sixth seed, and Aubets had the clinch match with her 6-1, 6-1 victory versus Payton Bradley as the fourth seed.
Sophomore Nnena Nadozie records a team-high fifth straight singles win and is 9-2 in doubles play with three different partners.
The Aztecs, who move up to 8-6 on the season, continue their homestand this Friday, March 15 when they host University of Houston. First serve is set for 2 p.m. at the Aztec Tennis Center.
San Diego State 4, Quinnipiac 0
March 13, 2019
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Nnena Nadozie/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Dominique Vasile/Jennifer Lu (QU) 6-2
2. Mia Smith/Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) vs. Kamilla Nella/Payton Bradley (QU) 4-3, unfinished
3. Magda Aubets/Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Stephanie Yanosov/Alexandra Mircea (QU) 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 3
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) vs. Dominique Vasile (QU) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Jennifer Lu (QU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) vs. Kamilla Nella (QU) 6-6, unfinished
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Payton Bradley (QU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) vs. Proyfon Lohaphaisan (QU) 6-1, 2-5, unfinished
6. Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) def. Courtney Nash (QU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4*
* Match clinching dual