SDSU falls to Spartans in close dual on Senior Day
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
April 21, 2018 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team hosted its final home match of the season Saturday where it was narrowly defeated by San Jose State, 4-3. The Aztecs claimed their 13th doubles point of the season but could not maintain their dominance in singles and dropped the match to the Spartans.
In doubles action, Aztec junior Magda Aubets and freshman Nnena Nadozie dropped their match, 6-2, to SJSU’s Tamara Culibrk and Clara Mantaux, but SDSU showed its dominance on courts one and two to claim the doubles point. Junior Jenny Moinard and sophomore Mia Smith finished off opponents Syville Gaubain and Savannah Sendar, 6-4, in the first seed while seniors Jana Buth and Paola Diaz notched a 6-3 victory over Miyo Kobayashi and Laura Malsert, 6-3, on the second court.
In singles action, freshman Abbie Mulbarger claimed her third straight singles win, downing Malsert 6-0, 6-2 in the five seed to tally a second point for the Aztecs. On court six, Nadozie struggled to come back against Mantaux, 6-4, 6-2, and Buth failed to solidify a comeback on court one, falling 6-4, 6-2 to Gauvain.
Tied at two-all, Aubets logged a quick win in her first set and went back and forth with Sendar in the second set, ultimately tallying the third Aztec point with a 6-1, 7-5 win in the fourth seed. On court two, Diaz and Culibrk went to a third set where Culibrk ultimately claimed a 1-6, 6-1, 6-3 win to bring the dual to three-all.
With the dual decision falling on court No. 3, Moinard hoped to add to her eight-match win streak in singles against Kobayashi. After splitting the first two sets, Moinard battled back from four games down to win four games of her own, but eventually ran out of gas and dropped the final set to lose 0-6, 6-3, 6-4.
The Aztecs claimed their 13th doubles point of the season in Saturday’s matchup vs. the Spartans.
San Jose State 4, San Diego State 3
April 21, 2018
Aztec Tennis Center
1. Jenny Moinard/Mia Smith (SDSU) def. Syville Gaubain/Savannah Sendar (SJSU), 6-4
2. Jana Buth/Paola Diaz (SDSU) def. Miyo Kobayashi/Laura Malsert (SJSU), 6-3
3. Tamara Culibrk/Clara Mantaux (SJSU) def. Magda Aubets/Nnena Nadozie (SDSU), 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
SDSU wins doubles point
1. Sybille Gauvain (SJSU) def. Jana Buth (SDSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Tamara Culibrk (SJSU) def. Paola Diaz (SDSU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Miyo Kobayashi (SJSU) def. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Savannah Sendar (SJSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) def. Laura Malsert (SJSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Clara Mantaux (SJSU) def. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 6, 1, 4, 2, 3*
* Match clinching victory