East County News Service
January 24, 2016 (Campo)—The Campo Lake Morena Planning Group meets Monday evening at 7 p.m. The agenda includes a staff update and vote on the latest version of the Star Ranch plan. Officers will be elected and vacancies on the board filled. In addition planners will discuss concerns raised by Boulevard and Jacumba planners over the addition of large battery storage facilities at the proposed Soitec Solar project.
To view the full agenda, click “read more” and scroll down.
County of San Diego
Campo Lake Morena Planning Group
Mountain Empire Community Center, 976 Sheridan Road
Campo, CA 91906
7 p.m., Monday, January 26, 2015
The public is encouraged to attend and participate in the meetings of the Campo Lake Morena Planning Group, which is the county-sponsored link between the community and San Diego County dealing with planning and land use. Members of the public will be given the opportunity to speak regarding any item on the agenda. In addition, during public discussion, members of the community will be given the opportunity to address other matters pertaining to land use issues in our area. No action or vote may be taken on items not on the agenda. The final agenda will be posted 72 hours prior to the meeting and may be found at the Campo branch of the U.S. Post Office, the Campo branch of the San Diego County Library and the Lake Morena Market bulletin board. Preliminary agendas are published around mid-month in The Alpine Sun.
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3. ROLL CALL: 1-Joe Carmody 6-open 4-open
3-Billie Jo Jannen 5-John Clarke 7-Claudia Millerbragg
8-Steve Biddle 2-open 9-Christine Sperrazzo Lepley
4. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: October 27, 2014, November 3, 2014, November 24, 2014
5. PUBLIC DISCUSSION: At this time, the public is invited to speak on any item that does not appear on the agenda. Public speakers will be limited to 2 minutes.
6. NEW BUSINESS:
- County Sanitation District - Department of Public Works will present details on a proposed sewer rate increase in Campo: Unit Manager Jeff Bosvay will present. Discussion and vote.
- Staff update on the current iteration of the Star Ranch plan and county comments: Planners Mindy Fogg and Dennis Campbell will present. Discussion and vote.
- The Boulevard Planning Group is seeking Campo Planning Group support for it's comments and request for recirculation/public comment on the draft EIR to address the late addition of 160 cargo containers of battery storage and a 40 percent increase in estimated water use: Each container would hold a full megawatt of batteries and individual HVAC unit. Chairman Donna Tisdale will present. Discussion and vote.
- Election of CLMPG officers: Annual selection of officers to serve during the coming year: Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Parlaimentarian. Discussion and votes.
- Review and vote on applicants to fill vacant seats numbered 2, 4 and 6. Applications are currently being accepted. These are four-year terms that expire in January 2019. Applicants must reside and be registered to vote in the Campo Planning Group area. Please send applications to CLMPG Chairman Billie Jo Jannen, 28736 Highway 94, Unit 1, Campo, CA 91906, email@example.com or call 619-415-6298 for more information. Please send applications prior to the meeting, so it can be reviewed by the Registrar of Voters. Find applications here: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/docs/Planning-Sponsor_Group_Application.pdf
7. OLD BUSINESS:
a. Formation of ad hoc community plan update subcommittee: The county has yet to show an interest in pursuing completion of our community plan. This creates a problem for us, as it give us no standard against which to measure projects -- and no standard against which would-be developers can measure their projects. Currently, the community has a big hole in the middle labeled "special study area" and this needs to be filled with a specific set of community goals and expectations. The plan will be presented to the county with a request that it be added to the general plan, and will also be incorporated as an implied part of comments on development plans. I am looking for an ad hoc group of PG and community members that can take the previously formulated plans, edit them into one and make updates and additions as needed. Discussion and vote.
b. Standing Subcommittee reports:
1. Groundwater, John Clarke.
2. Sewer and Septic, Joe Carmody
3. Community Economic Impacts, Steven Biddle
4. Traffic and Public Safety, no current chairman
c. Update on Camp Lockett Interest Group: CLIG Chairman Larry Johnson reports.
8. CORRESPONDENCE AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
- The Star Ranch vesting and landscape architecture maps have been updated and are available, both at meetings and by appointment with the CLMPG chairman. The environmental impact statement is expected to be released around the first half of 2015 according to the Dennis Campbell, county planner on the project. See agenda item above.
- Traffic Advisory Committee January 23 agenda: no items in our area
- Letter and reports addressed to BOS from Jacumba Chairman Howard Cook on the Soitec programmatic EIR. Our group commented on this document in 2014. The EIR went to the planning commission Friday (Jan. 16). The planning commission voted to approve 1,185 acres for solar development in addition to 10 miles of new overhead high voltage wires. 160 cargo containers of battery storage were also added in the final version, which we did not see in the draft. The battery storage facility is the largest in the world and is experimental. The EIR will next go to the board of supervisors. See agenda item above.
- December 31, 2014 letter from planner Sheri MacPherson: The comment period for the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan draft EIR has been extended to February 23, 2015. The planning group has submitted comments on the project, which proposes changing large portions of wild lands and Imperial County farmland to wind and solar industrial projects. However, comments are also sought from individuals and other organizations. Visit www.drecp.org to review the plan and submit comments.
- January 7, 2015 staff comment letter on the September 29 Star Ranch plan submittal. Staff will be at the January 26 meeting to discuss the plan and answer questions.
- Planning group training reminder from planner Sheri MacPherson: The last one is scheduled for January 31 in Lakeside.
- BOS reappointment letter for Steve Biddle: Steve fills seat 8 on the planning group board for a four-year term set to expire in January 2019.
a. Please report any valid expenses for group approval.
10. UPDATES AND POTENTIAL ACTION ITEMS
a. Does anyone have have changes to propose for standing rules? We have the option of placing them on an agenda for revision or just leaving them as-is.
11. REQUEST FOR AGENDA ITEMS FOR UPCOMING AGENDAS: All requests for placement of agenda items must be to the planning group chairman by the third Tuesday of each month.
Next regular meeting, February 23, 2015 at Mountain Empire Community Center. If you wish to appear on the agenda, please contact CLMPG Chairman Billie Jo Jannen, 28736 Highway 94, Unit 1, Campo, CA 91906, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-415-6298. Agendas are posted 72 hours prior to meeting.