By Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna
December 28, 2015 (San Diego’s East County) --This New Year’s Eve, we should all vow to take a closer look at our lives and make decisions about ourselves. Here are 16 New Year’s Resolutions to help you for a better 2016.
1. Stop being negative. If you’re unhappy, do something about it. You have a choice, but don’t spew your unhappiness on others.
2. If you don’t like it here, leave the country. We’ve got our problems, no doubt. But it’s still the best place to live.
3. Get over yourself, listen more and talk less. You’re not as "bitchin" as you think you are. But you will be better if you became a better listener!
4. If you don’t like your job, quit. Life is too short to be doing something or being somewhere you don’t enjoy. Just make sure the negative environment isn’t contributed by you before you jump.
5. Clothes a little tight? The gym is a great place to go for mental and physical stimuli. It’s also a great place to meet new friends.
6. If you spill milk what do you do? Clean it up! Otherwise it hardens and stains sometimes permanently. Clean your messes up with people you’ve made them with. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.
7. Rid yourself of enemies. If you wronged someone, apologize for what you did and forgive those who have wronged you.
8. Don’t spend 2016 surrounded by people you secretly despise. Have the courage to say “this isn’t working for me” and cut ties. You’ll do the both of you a favor.
9. Look at people in the eyes and smile. Somewhere, somehow we’ve lost that. Bring it back home.
10. Stop caring about how many people “like” you on your social media accounts. Learn to like yourself. That’s what matters.
11. Strengthen relationships with family members. Blood is thicker than water.
12. Help strangers. “Pay it forward,” do good things for others - and don’t post about it on Facebook.
13. Conquer a fear. Until you confront it, it will always remain and hold you back.
14. Turn off your smart-phone at dinner and be ‘present’ to those your with and/or your surroundings.
15. Stop being so shallow. Next time you find yourself judging someone remember. “If you spot it, you got it.” What you don’t like about someone else is something that is residing in you.
16. Quit texting and driving. Plain and simple! If you have any class within you, texting and driving certainly takes it away.
These are 16 New Year’s Resolutions every person should make. I’d love to hear/post other ones from you!
Happy New Year!