FROM THE CHIEF'S CORNER: CHRISTMAS DAY SAFETY - IT'S HERE!

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

December 20, 2012 (San Diego) – Well Christmas is officially here! The last couple weeks we have focused on both outdoor and indoor holiday safety. Christmas day will arrive soon and there’s a few additional safety tips to be aware of!

We’re going to be cooking more over the next few days and on Christmas. Be careful wearing loose clothing around open flames on the stove. Use a timer and use “post it’s” to remind yourself of cooking times in the oven (were going to be distracted more this week than ever). Do not cool hot pans with water if grease is in the. Have a fire extinguisher near-by and know how to use it. A lid placed over a pan on fire will remove oxygen and put the fire out! Be careful using candles at the dinner table (especially if toddlers are present).

When selecting gifts this holiday season, be sure to: Choose toys suitable to the child's age, interest and skill level. Use caution with toys that have small parts or sharp pieces that could injure a younger child Says Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna. Look for well-made toys. Avoid toys that produce loud noises. High-volume games can permanently impair a child's hearing, and loud sounds can frighten a younger child. Avoid toys painted with lead paint. Avoid electrical toys with heating elements (batteries, electrical plugs) for children under the age of 8. These toys are a potential burn hazard. Avoid toys with strings, straps or cords longer than 7 inches, which can wrap around a child's neck and accidentally strangle him or her. Immediately discard plastic wrappings on toys before they become dangerous play things for young children.

A Gift is Not Complete Unless Proper Protective Gear is Included. Bicycles, skates, scooters and skateboards are popular gifts for the holidays, but if children lack the proper protective gear or skills, injury and death can occur.

Remember, don’t burn holiday wrappings in your fireplace… You’re tree’s nice and dry by now. Keep it away from the fireplace and candles. It needs lots of water and now is a good time to limit the light usage as much as possible. Properly dispose of after Christmas. Sorry, it’s just very dry by now!

For an even Merrier Christmas, Be patient, Be aware and Be Safe!

If you have any questions about holiday safety contact your local fire department.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna