By Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna
July 11, 2013 (San Diego) – Before a wildfire strikes:
- Know where your gas, electric and water main shut-off controls are and how to use them.
- Become familiar with your community’s disaster-preparedness plans and create a family plan.
- Plan several escape routes from your home and neighborhood and designate an emergency meeting place.
- Put together an emergency kit.
- Ensure you follow your local fire code and adhere to its brush compliance program
During a wildfire:
- Listen to your portable radio for reports and evacuation information.
- Back your car into the garage or park it in an open space facing the direction of escape.
- Close garage windows and doors, but leave them unlocked.
- Confine pets to one room.
- Arrange temporary housing.
- When advised to evacuate, do so immediately.
- Wear protective clothing.
- Take your emergency kit.
- Lock your home.
- Follow the evacuation route that your local officials have identified.