Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this



By Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna

April 10, 2014 (San Diego)--Those little nine-volt batteries that you changed last month from your smoke detector or just keep around in drawers could post a serious fire hazard if not stored correctly says Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna.  The batteries could start a fire if surrounded by the wrong items.  Several house fires have been reported caused by the batteries.

"Fires have been attributed to 9-volt batteries where both the positive and negative leads have made contact with aluminum foil, a metal pen, or some type of metallic object.   All you need is for a metal object like steel wool a paper clip, pen short out across the top of a 9 Volt battery and ignite paper or other easily ignited materials and you’ll have a potential disaster in your home.   It doesn’t take much to heat a metallic object or cause a spark in order to start a fire says Chief DiGiovanna.”

Make sure your nine-volts are separated if they are out of their packaging.   Another tip is to cover the tops of your nine-volts with electrical tape to make sure that the tops of them never touch.

Contact your local fire department for additional information and visit:

Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna

Note: The information in this article was compiled from various sources. These suggestions are not a complete list of every preventative or loss control measure. The information is not intended to replace additional safety manuals or the advice of another qualified professional(s). We make no guarantee of results from use of this information. We assume no liability in connection with the information nor the suggestions made.


Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.