By Tom Christensen, County of San Diego Communications Office
Photo via Shutterstock
March 13, 2019 (San Diego) - The San Diego County Board of Supervisors approved creating a new board to enhance the ability of the County to prevent and respond to child abuse and neglect on Tuesday.
The action dissolved the Child Abuse Prevention Coordinating Council and replaces that body with a new Child and Family Strengthening Advisory Board that will have broad oversight of the County’s child welfare system.
The County’s child welfare services investigates reports of suspected child abuse and neglect and oversees foster care and adoption services.
The mission of the new advisory board will be to serve as a platform for collaboration and transparent monitoring of the child welfare system to ensure the safety and well-being of children and families.
“This new advisory board will play a key role in achieving our Live Well San Diego vision, working with our partners who serve children and families to improve this system and ensure that children grow up healthy, safe and thriving,” said Nick Macchione, County Health and Human Services Agency director.
The new board will absorb the duties of the current Child Abuse Prevention Coordinating Council, including administering the Children’s Trust Fund, and will work closely and collaborate with the Polinsky Children’s Center Advisory Board and the San Diego County Foster Care Services Committee.
The Advisory Board will consist of 21 voting members representing a broad cross-section of community stakeholders as follows:
- Two members of the Board of Supervisors who shall serve as Co-Chairs
- Three Supervisorial District representatives
- Presiding judge of the Juvenile Court or designee
- Health and Human Services Agency director or designee
- Child Welfare Services director or designee
- Chief probation officer or designee
- First 5 San Diego executive director or designee
- Former foster youth
- Foster parent association
- Foster family agency
- Congregate care provider
- Court Appointed Special Advocate
- Legal counsel for minors in juvenile court
- Legal counsel for parents in juvenile court
- San Diego County Office of Education
- Juvenile justice community-based organization
- Children’s health care professional
- Social worker