Jack guest blogs for his owner, Dawn Celapino this week
September 9, 2010 (San Diego's East County) -- After getting back from a great road trip with my Mom and Dad, I thought I would share some information with you in case you are planning on doing any traveling with your furry friend!! The following are five things that you need to know:
1. Make sure your pet does not get car sick. There is a difference between traveling around town and driving 8 hours. Work them up to extended periods in the car. There are soothing tapes, homeopathic sedatives, and toys that will help with this task.
2. Do your research before hitting the road, many hotels do not allow pets. Most of the large chains do but if you are traveling to a remote area--call ahead to make sure you will have somewhere to stay when you arrive. There is usually a small fee that is added on to the room rate for your pet.
3. Traveling with your pet has its benefits of course, but you will be limited as to what you can do. Many stores and restaurants will not allow pets. Depending on what time of the year you are traveling, leaving your pet in the car may not be an option. Taking a crate with you may help if you want to leave fido in your hotel room--unless they get separation anxiety and start barking non-stop! That may present a problem!
4. National parks and most state parks do not allow pets on the trails. Again, if you are planning on traveling to these areas you may want to make other arrangements if you are planning on doing any hiking. You may want to check with the local towns to see if there are any boarding facilities so that Fido will be safe.
5. Take all of your dogs medication, food, a few toys and records with you. Traveling is stressful enough on a dog, this is not a good time to change their food. Hopefully nothing happens while on the vacation, but having their medical records with you can prevent any delays in case a trip to the emergency room is on your scenic route!
I go EVERYWHERE with my Mom and Dad but they were very limited as to where they could go on our recent trip to the Northwest. They said that bringing me was worth it though! Enjoy your travels but just know the "rules" on where you are headed. To see our recent travels--just scroll down further on my blog, maybe you will get some ideas where to go!
For more information please visit www.LEASHYOURFITNESS.com
Dawn Celapino is a fitness trainer with www.LeashYourFitness.com. She has taught yoga, kickboxing, boot camp & sculpting classes in corporate, outdoor & residential settings. Dawn loves to run, hike, mountain & road bike, kayak, swim, surf, & yoga. As long as her Cairn Terrier, Jack, is with her, she is happy.