By Dawn and Nancy Clement
Share creative ideas to assist people of all ages with tips to save money and improve their lifestyle!
December 28, 2009 (San Diego’s East County)-Is getting more organized on your To Do List for 2010? If it is, then get a jump-start by creating a Household Binder. This will help everyone in your household find information quickly and make running a home easier and more stress-free. You can assemble one in just a few minutes if you have all the items gathered together before you start a three-ring binder that will hold standard 8 1/2 X 11’ paper, one with pockets to store items like pencils or stamps, and a list of items you want to include. Some ideas about what to include are:
• Information and business cards for doctors, dentists, pharmacies and other medical information for each family member
• Emergency contact info for police and fire
• Phone numbers for friends, family and neighbors
• Where and how to shut of the gas or water valve and where the circuit breakers are located
• Information for the babysitter so she will know each child’s likes/dislikes, any dietary issues, allergies, discipline and house rule policies (pull this section out and make this available for the babysitter)
• Menus and coupons to favorite restaurants
• A travel checklist that you can pull out and easily customize for each trip
• Project planner for any household projects, so you can be on the lookout for any coupons to save you money on your projects and you’ll have all your notes in one place
• Birthday list to help you keep track of extended family’s special day
• A “WISH LIST” so you’ll know what special items to get for birthdays and holidays, this is a big hit with kids and will save you lots of time and energy as you only shop for items they desire
• Receipts for any returns, keep for about a month and then file in a monthly file so you are all ready for tax time
• Take out menus from your favorite restaurants
• Grocery lists so you easily replenish your pantry and a list of upcoming menus if you like to keep the meals planned in advance
Begin your Household binder now and e-mail us with your creative ideas of ways you made your life simpler and more organized. Here is to a prosperous 2010 for you and your family from Dollar-Wi$e Divas!
Nancy Clement is an east county Realtor®, mortgage broker and freelance writer and can be reached at 619-563-4184 or Dollar-wiseDivas@cox.net. Dawn Clement is a stay-at-home mother of three, a freelance writer, and creative shopper.