East County News Service
September 13, 2016 (San Diego's East County) -- East County Roundup highlights top stories of interest to East County and San Diego’s inland regions, published in other media. This week’s top “Roundup” headlines include:
- San Diego backcountry wildfire risk lessening, insurance group concludes (Los Angeles Times)
- Cancer Surgery Volumes at San Diego Hospitals May Warn of Complications (KPBS)
- 10,000th Syrian refugee will settle in El Cajon (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Affordability Report Ranks San Diego County Near the Bottom (KPBS)
- Mexican billionaire found guilty of buying political influence in San Diego (10 News)
- Judge sides with Monsanto in lawsuit (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Report probes Saudi links of San Diego's 9/11 hijackers (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Faux city for Alzheimer’s patients takes shape (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Yosemite National Park unveils 400-acre expansion (BBC)
- Sanchez calls on feds to takeover CPUC probe (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Southern Calif. Gas Co. agrees to $4 million settlement over massive gas leak (CBS)
- This Mojave Desert solar plant kills 6,000 birds a year (Los Angeles Times)
For excerpts and links to full stories, click “read more” and scroll down.
San Diego backcountry wildfire risk lessening, insurance group concludes(Los Angeles Times)
An organization that weighs fire risks has determined that San Diego’s backcountry is safer after years of investments, a declaration that may make it possible for property owners in the county’s rural stretches to buy fire insurance for the first time or to pay lower premiums on existing policies.
Most experts agree that for specific procedures such as lung, pancreas, esophageal or rectal cancer surgeries, higher volume hospitals have better outcomes and lower mortality.
10,000th Syrian refugee will settle in El Cajon (San Diego Union-Tribune)
The man identified nationally as the 10,000th Syrian refugee to resettle in the United States this fiscal year arrived with his family in San Diego by bus this past week after a grueling set of flights from Jordan to Los Angeles.
San Diegans are making lower salaries and paying higher housing costs compared to nine competing metropolitan areas, including San Francisco, Seattle and Denver.
Mexican businessman Jose Susumo Azano and two others were convicted Friday of involvement in a scheme to secretly funnel more than $500,000 into the 2012 San Diego mayoral campaigns of Bonnie Dumanis and Bob Filner.
Judge sides with Monsanto in lawsuit (San Diego Union-Tribune)
A novel legal strategy aimed at holding corporate giant Monsanto accountable for millions in municipal clean-up costs associated with pollution in the San Diego Bay and other waterways looks to be on shaky ground.
Report probes Saudi links of San Diego's 9/11 hijackers (San Diego Union-Tribune)
The two lived in Clairemont, Lemon Grove, before taking over Flight 77
Faux city for Alzheimer’s patients takes shape (San Diego Union-Tribune)
Glenner memory care, San Diego Opera creating a 1950s San Diego cityscape inside a Chula Vista warehouse
Yosemite National Park in California is to gain a 400-acre addition, its largest expansion in nearly 70 years.
Sanchez calls on feds to takeover CPUC probe (San Diego Union-Tribune)
Congresswoman and U.S. Senate candidate Loretta Sanchez called Thursday for a federal takeover of the criminal investigation into the California Public Utilities Commission from her political rival, Attorney General Kamala Harris. Sanchez, an Orange County Democrat who is trailing Harris in most polls, said instead of protecting Southern California and its residents, Harris is defending a plan to bury 3 million pounds of radioactive waste from the failed San Onofre nuclear plant on the San Diego County coastline for decades to come.
This Mojave Desert solar plant kills 6,000 birds a year (Los Angeles Times)
A macabre fireworks show unfolds each day along I-15 west of Las Vegas, as birds fly into concentrated beams of sunlight and are instantly incinerated, leaving wisps of white smoke against the blue desert sky.