July 1, 2009 (San Diego's East County)--No need to endure bumper-to-bumper traffic to watch fireworks at the beach areas. Instead, grab a blanket, beach chairs and your favorite refreshments, then head to one of the East County or North County inland areas listed below. (For those whose family festivities may lead you to venture west of I-15, we’ve also included all fireworks locations countywide.) Two communities, Julian and Crest, will host parades this year, but no fireworks. Have a safe and festive Fourth of July!
FIREWORKS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY JULY 4, 2009
•El Cajon: Kennedy Park, 12 :00 p.m. picnic, fireworks start at 9:00 p.m.
•Julian, SR 78, SR 79; 10 a.m. Celebration; Parade at noon; NO FIREWORKS DUE TO FIRE RISK.
• La Mesa: Lake Murray; Music Fest (noon to 9 p.m.); Fireworks start at 9:15 p.m.
•Ramona: Olive Peirce Middle School; Grounds open at 5 p.m. for town picnic including food booths and games; fireworks; (760) 789-1311.
•Santee: Town Center Community Park Ballfields; (619) 258-4100 x201.
•Spring Valley Park; (619) 479-1832.
NORTH COUNTY INLAND
• Escondido: Grape Day Park; Afternoon festivities, including game and food booths, music and entertainment; (760) 745-1159.
• Poway; Poway High School Stadium; 15500 Espola Rd; 7-10 p.m.- music, games; $2 charge; younger than 11 years free with adult; fireworks (no contact number).
• Rancho Bernardo: Webb Park; (619) 889-8505.
• San Marcos: Bradley Park; Food and music earlier in the day; fireworks; (760) 744-9000.
• Vista: Brengle Terrace Park; Festivities, 11a.m.-9:30p.m.; fireworks; Free shuttle services, parking available; (760) 726-1340, x1574.
• Camp Pendleton: Del Mar Beach Bash; All day activities including music, food and games (starts at noon); fireworks; (760) 725-2313.
• Carlsbad: Legoland; fireworks, 8:30 p.m. (included with admission); (760) 918-LEGO.
• Oceanside Pier; O'Fest Carnival (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.); NO FIREWORKS DUE TO BUDGET CONSTRAINTS; (760) 967-2005.
• San Diego County Fair: Del Mar Fairgrounds (included with admission); (858) 755-1161.
SAN DIEGO AND SOUTH BAY
• Coronado: Glorietta Bay; 10 a.m. - Annual Coronado Independence Day Parade; Daylong festivities; fireworks; (619) 437-8788.
• La Jolla Cove; (858) 454-1444.
• Mira Mesa Recreation Center / Mira Mesa Community Park; During the day, food, rides, games and entertainment; fireworks; (858) 538-8122.
• Mission Bay Yacht Club; (858) 488-0501.
• Ocean Beach Pier; (619) 226-8613.
• Mission Bay: Paradise Point Resort; (858) 274-4630.
• San Diego Bay, Embarcadero – “Big Bay Boom”; (858) 751-5755
. • Mission Bay: SeaWorld; 9:30 p.m.; (800) 25-SHAMU. SOUTH BAY
• Chula Vista: NO FIREWORKS DUE TO BUDGET CONSTRAINTS.
• National City: Kimball Park; Carnival rides, games, food booths; fireworks; (619) 336-4290.