East County News Service
Photo: Creative Commons image via Bing
April 30, 2021 (El Cajon) -- On April 27th, the El Cajon City Council voted to allocate a portion of the American Recovery Act funds to support local businesses. $5 million has been designated to the El Cajon Business Grant Program where business owners may select from one of two options and receive up to $15,000 in grant funding.
Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. and will close three months later, on August 3 at 5:30 p.m.
Each business must choose from option A or option B. You can only apply for one.
Option A - Employee Hiring Program
- Award of $5,000 per employee hired between 3/1/21-8/3/21
- Maximum of 3 employees ($15,000 max award)
- Employees may be hired separately (See pg. 2 of application for further details)
Grants awards will be issued within 30 days of application submission.
Option B -Capital Improvement Program
(Available mid-May pending City Council approval)
This option will award up to $15,000 in funds to businesses for capital investments such as:
- Businesses or non-profits must be located within City of El Cajon boundaries and possess a City-issued business license (with an effective date of 3/1/21 or earlier)
- Businesses must have 2-25 employees (Business owner +1 employee is eligible)
- Franchise restaurants are not eligible
- Must not have any active zoning, building, or code violations on or after 3/1/2021
- Must have been in business on January 1, 2020
- Home occupations or home-based businesses are not eligible
IMPORTANT: In addition to the completed application, the following attachments MUST be submitted for your application to be considered:
- Business owner's Driver’s License or other form of residency ID
- Copy of business license issued by the City of El Cajon
- W-9 IRS Tax Form
- State of California EDD Form DE-34 for each hired employee (Option A only)
- DE-34 confirmation from State EDD Office (Option A only)
Please submit your completed application including all attachments to: BusinessGrant@cityofelcajon.us.
It is the responsibility of the business owner to ensure the application and all required documents are present in one single email. Any incomplete submissions, which do not contain the required attachments, will not be considered. Individual attachments will not be accepted.
To learn more, visit the Business Grant Homepage.