East County News Service
August 4, 2018 (San Diego) -- Head outside after hours for a series of fun programs the whole family will enjoy in San Diego county parks. On top of Summer Movies in the Park series, here's a list of star parties, night hikes and evening entertainment taking in parks this month. Inclement weather may cancel; contact the parks by clicking on the links below:
- Friday, August 10, 7 – 10 p.m. – Skyscape Imaging at Sycamore Canyon Learn about astrophotography and capture amazing wide field images of the night sky. Start with a talk in the Visitor Center, then head outside to take pictures like a pro! Learn more on Facebook.
- Saturday, Aug. 11, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m. – Star Party at Oakoasis | Arrive at sunset for a twilight hike to search for bats and scorpions. Stick around to view the stars with the San Diego Astronomy Association (SDAA)! Learn more on Facebook.
- Sunday, Aug. 12, 7 – 10:30 p.m. – Perseid Meteor Shower at Santa Ysabel West (78 staging) | We'll provide the hot chocolate, you bring your chairs and take in one of summer's best nighttime shows! Arrive at sunset, seek fireballs and wait for the Double Cluster... Learn more on Facebook.
- Saturday, Aug. 18, 6 – 10:30 p.m. – Summit Sunset Hike and Star Party at Volcan Mountain | Hike 5.5 miles on Volcan Mountain with friends from Curiosity Peak Observatory and the Julian Dark Sky Network for some out-of-this-world stargazing! Learn more on Facebook.
- Sunday, Aug. 19, 6:30 – 8 p.m. – Sunset Hike at Flinn Springs | Join Ranger Patty for a moderate-to-tough hike to the top of Flinn Peak as the sun sets and temperatures cool. Learn about flora, fauna and local wildlife! Learn more on Facebook.
- Saturday, Aug. 25, 8 – 9 p.m. – California Wolf Center Presentation at Heise | Enjoy this presentation on the history of wolves in North America, along with a discussion on the California Wolf Center's involvement in their recovery in, and reintroduction to, the wild.
- Saturday, Aug. 25, 8 – 9 p.m. – Campfire and S'mores at Lake Morena | Warm up next to the campfire with family, friends and County park rangers to learn about Lake Morena County Park while sampling delicious S'mores! Learn more on Facebook.
- Sunday, Aug. 26, 6 – 7 p.m. – Hullabaloo on the Waterfront | Hullabaloo is a free-range, organic folk concert featuring a foot-stomping, wing-flapping celebration of song. It's designated for kids but entertains all! Meet at Civic Green 5. Learn more on Facebook.