November 29, 2010 (La Mesa)—A Heartland Fire & Rescue engine from La Mesa was driving northbound on Bancroft Drive when crew members smelled a strong odor of natural gas yesterday morning. The fire crew stopped to investigate the smell and determined that there was gas coming from underground at 5033 Bancroft Drive.
The fire crew requested additional fire resources as well as San Diego Gas & Electric and La Mesa Police for traffic control. Five residences between Shirley Drive and Madison Avenue were evacuated as a precaution until the leak could be found and shut down.
SDG&E crews arrived on scene, dug up the ground in front of the residence and determined that a ¾” service main to the house had broken. An SDG&E crew was able to clamp and repair the ruptured line. An SDG&E spokesman stated that tree roots probably contributed to the line breaking.