By Liz Alper
December 10, 2015 (San Diego) - The San Diego Fire Department has ruled that a fire that started in a house rented by tenants by San Diego State was an arson, NBC7 reports.
Firefighters reported to the home around 6:00 p.m. on Thursday night and extinguished the fire by 6:23 p.m. Damages are estimated to be between $150,000 for the home and $50,000 to what was inside the home.
According to tenants, the property was not suitable to be living in and was facing several violations, including wiring, plumbing problems and no smoke alarms. One of the tenants claimed that the landlord was not supposed to be renting out the house.
Around 11 renters live in the house. They all escaped the fire safely. The San Diego Police Department has now taken over the case.