December 9, 2010 (Escondido) – A controlled burn has destroyed the Escondido home filled with explosives and chemicals used in bomb making. A bomb-arson team ignited the residence on via Scott via remote control shortly before 11 a.m. today.
The burn proceeded as planned, albeit with a later start time than previously announced. A massive blaze swiftly consumed the home, punctuated by popping sounds likely caused by hand grenades and ammunition stored in the premises, Sheriff’s represented Jan Caldwell said.
I-15 is now open and the evacuation order for the area has been lifted. Residents are returning home, with the exception of two homes on Via Scott and one on North Nutmeg. As a precaution, authorities are keeping those areas clear until debris can be removed and the area confirmed safe. The fire will continue to smolder through the night, according to the Sheriff’s Department.
County Public Health Officer Dr. Wilma Wooten said it is unlikely that there will be any related health effects associated with the fire. “While it is unlikely that neighbors will experience any symptoms, smoke can cause eye and throat irritation, coughing, and difficulty breathing. People who are at greatest risk of experiencing symptoms due to smoke include those with chronic lung disease (such as asthma) and/or heart disease, young children, pregnant women, and older adults.
Wooten advised returning residents to keep windows and doors closed overnight and not to run fans that would bring smoky air indoors. “If an individual does develop respiratory problems during the night, they should seek medical care,” she added.