By Miriam Raftery
October 5, 2016 (El Cajon) –El Cajon residents are invited to attend a Journalism Forum featuring candidates running for the El Cajon City Council. The forum, co-moderated by journalists from four major media outlets, will be held on Wednesday, October 5 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Grossmont College at Griffin Gate in Griffin Center. (See map.)
Bring your questions, meet the candidates and hear their ideas and goals for El Cajon.
The moderators will be: Miriam Raftery, editor of East County Magazine, Karen Pearlman, reporter for the San Diego-Union Tribune, Albert Fulcher, editor of the East County Californian, and Marya Fani, broadcast journalist at Mega Network.
Ten candidates are running for three seats on the El Cajon City Council, including a vacant seat due to Councilman Tony Ambrose not seeking reelection. All candidates have been invited to participate.
The candidates are:
- Star Bales (Appointed Council Member)
- Vickie Knight Butcher (Executive Director/nonprofit)
- Humbert Cabrera (Small business owner)
- Paul Circo (Operations supervisor)
- Joseph R. Fountain(Special education teacher)
- George Glover(Businessman/IT director)
- Steve Goble(Small business owner)
- Stephanie L. Harper (Mother)
- Ben Kalasho (Chamber of Commerce President)
- Bob W. E. McClellan (Incumbent/Retired Businessman)
Seven candidates have accepted, all challengers: Vickie Knight Butcher, Humbert Cabrera, George Glover,Steve Goble, Stephanie Harper, Joseph Fountain and Ben Kalasho.
Incumbents Bob McClellan andStarBales have indicated they will be out of town. Paul Circo said he has a schedule conflict. All three are endorsed by the Lincoln Club conservative business group.
The forum is free. There is a $2 parking charge. Park in lot 7 or lot 5 south. View map.
This is your opportunity to hear from the candidates, ask questions about issues that matter most to you, and learn more about those seeking to represent you.
Candidate Interviews by ECM