By Kristin Kjaero
April 9, 2015 (La Mesa) – There’s something for everybody going on this month in La Mesa. There are activities for every age and interest, as well as for mind, body and entertainment.
The City of La Mesa has three free activities for or about youth this month; for more information call 619-667-1300:
- April Pools Day is April 11 from 12 noon – 3 p.m. Learn how to keep children safe around water. Free swim lessons, free recreational swim, water safety/CPR presentations, infant swim, lesson demonstration, Fire Department rescue demonstrations and more, at the La Mesa Municipal Pool, 5100 Memorial Drive, tel. 619-667-1494.
- Money Talk$, hosted by the La Mesa Youth Advisory Commission, on Monday, April 13 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. is a workshop with tips how to be financially successful in college and beyond. Topics will include investing, savings and spending your money wisely. The workshop is aimed at young adults, but parents are welcome to attend; La Mesa Community Center, 4975 Memorial Drive, La Mesa.
- Fun with Physics is Saturday, April 18, from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon. Experiments include bottle rockets, bubbles, oobleck, engineering FUNdamentals, dry ice, barges and more.The event will be held, weather permitting, at the La Mesa Boys and Girls Teen Club is located in Highwood Park, 7775 Junior High Drive, La Mesa.
Other family oriented events in town, with some cost involved:
- Once Upon A Mattress, March 25-28, presented by the Peter Pan Junior Theater at the Kroc Performing Arts Center. Visit www.ppjt.org for tickets, or view the flyer for more information.
- Food Truck Thursdays at Grossmont Center from 5:00 – 7:30 p.m. features sweet and savory foods from some of San Diego’s local food trucks. Food trucks will be located in the parking lot in front of Walmart Garden Center and Barnes & Noble, and trucks and flavors will rotate weekly.
The La Mesa Library has a host of free weekly events for all ages and interests; for specific times and details visit the library’s on-line calendar:
- Monday - Lego and Scrabble Clubs.
- Tuesday - Silver Sneaker Yoga, Baby Lapsit, Ebook Tutoring and Bilingual Storytime.
- Wednesday - Chess Club, Knitting Club, Ebook Tutoring and PJ Storytime.
- Thursday - Preschool and Teen activities.
- Friday - Toddler Storytimes.
- Saturday - Introductory Computer Classes.
The La Mesa Chamber of Commerce has two main events this month:
- Breakfast Tuesday with guest speaker Supervisor Dianne Jacob, April 14, 7:30 - 9:00 a.m., at Marie Callender's, 6950 Alvarado Rd., San Diego, CA 92120.
- Spring Fling - Business Expo, Wednesday April 29, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Mix and mingle, entertainment, food and beverages, raffles and more, at the La Mesa Community Center (4975 Memorial Drive, La Mesa, CA 91942).
The Grossmont Healthcare District is offering several free information events this month as well:
- Heart and Vascular Risk Factors Education Class April 10 and April 24, 10 to 11:30 am at the Brier Patch Campus Bldg. F - Room 13-14, 9000 Wakarusa St., La Mesa
- Medicare and You on April 13, 10 – 11 am at the District Conference Center, 9001 Wakarusa St, La Mesa, will cover Medicare parts A-D, Medicare Advantage, HMOs, PPOs, Medicare Savings Program (MSP) and Medicare Extra Help Program.
- Heart Health Expo, Saturday April 18 from 8 – 11 a.m. at the Sharp Grossmont Hospital Auditorium. provides participants with lifesaving tips on heart health. Experts who specialize in cardiovascular care will discuss cardiovascular disease symptoms, risks and the latest treatment options. They will also provide information on the benefits of making healthier nutrition and lifestyle choices to decrease the chance of developing heart disease. In addition, the event features free blood pressure and body mass index screenings, wellness information, giveaways and heart-healthy continental breakfast options.
If you would like to see your community events listed in the La Mesa Community section, contact us.