"Neighbors" aims to reduce crime in neighborhoods by connecting people, security cameras and law enforcement.
Source: La Mesa Police Department
March 6, 2019 (La Mesa) - The La Mesa Police Department today announced that it is joining the Neighbors app by Ring (available via iOS/Android here: https://download.ring.com/lamesa to provide the La Mesa community with real-time, local crime and safety information. The Neighbors network already has millions of users and has been instrumental in catching package thieves, stopping burglaries, and keeping neighborhoods safe.
Residents can download the free Neighbors app, join their neighborhood, and use the app to: monitor neighborhood activity; share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts; and receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team.
Walt Vasquez, Chief of Police, said: “As a Police Department, we are always looking for innovative and new ways to reduce crime and the fear of crime. Through our new partnership with Ring and the Neighbors App, we hope to make our citizens feel safer in their homes and community while improving our abilities to bring criminals to justice.”
Jamie Siminoff, Chief Inventor and Founder of Ring, said: “We’re excited to have the La Mesa Police Department join Neighbors to keep their community up-to-date on local crime and safety information. Over the past few years we have learned that, when neighbors, the Ring team and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. Neighbors is meant to facilitate real-time communication between these groups, while maintaining neighbor privacy first and foremost. By bringing security to every neighbor with the free Neighbors app, the La Mesa community can stay on top of crime and safety alerts as they happen.”
How it Works
- Download the Neighbors app on iOS and Android here: https://download.ring.com/lamesa or by texting ‘lamesapd’ to 555888 from your smartphone.
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications for (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View local crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device, including Ring’s home security devices.
- Work with your community to make neighborhoods safer