By Miriam Raftery
September 7, 2014 (San Diego) –The League of Women Voters invites the public to a “Meet the Candidates Reception and Forum” featuring candidates running in the November 4 election for state legislative offices in San Diego and East County, as well as San Diego City Council, Superior Court Judge, San Diego Unified and San Diego Community College districtsw. The event will be held on Wednesday, October 1st from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park.
Candidates for the following offices are invited to participate:
- State Senate, Districts 36, 38 and 40 (District 36 is an open seat; 38 and 40 are held by incumbent Senators Joel Anderson and Ben Hueso)
- State Assembly, Districts 71, 77, 78 and 79 (currently held by incumbents Brian Jones, Brian Maienscheim, Toni Atkins, and Shirley Weber)
- San Diego City Council, District 6 (open seat)
- San Diego Community College, Districts A and E (currently held by incumbents Maria Nieto Senour and Peter Zschiesche
- Superior Court Judge, Office 25 (open seat)
- San Diego Unified School Board, District B (currently held by incumbent Kevin Beiser)
The forum will be moderated by Carl Luna, PhD, Professor of Political Science, San Diego Mesa College. Light refreshments will be served.
Candidates will each make two minute introductory statements. There will be time for networking and asking questions of candidates in an informal atmosphere. The forum will follow League of Women Voters protocols..