Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

West Nile Virus Detected In Lemon Grove


East County News Service

July 28, 2010 (Lemon Grove)--A batch of mosquitoes collected in Lemon Grove has tested positive for West Nile virus, the first positive test this year for the potentially-deadly disease, County Vector Control officials announced today.

“Finding positive mosquito batches is significant because mosquitoes do not travel far from the site of the infection,” said Jack Miller, Director of the County Department of Environmental Health. ”We are sending letters to warn residents of the potential health risk that exists in their neighborhood. People should take personal precautions to protect themselves from mosquito bites.”


Scroll down for tips on how to protect yourself, as well as symptoms of West Nile Virus.


Protect Yourself from Mosquito Bites:
Protect yourself from the virus by staying inside when mosquitoes are most active, between dusk and dawn, and by wearing long sleeves and pants when outdoors. Use insect repellents containing DEET, Picaridin, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus or IR 3535 when you are outdoors. Make sure window and door screens are in good condition and are secured.

Prevent Mosquito Breeding: Backyard water sources are ideal breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Residents should dump or remove anything that can hold water, such as plant saucers, rain gutters, buckets, trash cans, children’s toys, old spare tires and wheelbarrows. Mosquito fish may be used to control mosquito breeding in backyard water sources such as unused swimming pools, ponds, fountains and horse troughs.

Report Dead Birds and Green Swimming Pools: Please report dead crows, ravens, jays, hawks and owls, and green swimming pools to the Vector Control Program. Vector Control provides free mosquito fish to control mosquitoes in backyard water sources including green swimming pools.

Sign Up for Text Messages: By texting the word PEST to the number 75309 from any cell phone, users will receive vital health alerts and the latest information about the virus. For example, you might receive a message regarding the location of where birds or mosquitoes have tested positive for West Nile virus, or you might receive tips on how to protect yourself from the disease.


Symptoms of West Nile Virus:  About 80% of people infected with the West Nile virus experience no symptoms. The remaining 20% who become infected may have fevers, headaches, body aches, nausea, vomiting, swollen lymph glands or a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms can last for a few days to several weeks. About one in 150 people infected with WNV develop serious illness. Severe symptoms can include high fever, headache, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, convulsions, muscle weakness, vision loss, numbness and paralysis. These symptoms may last several weeks and neurological effects may be permanent. Serious symptoms may lead to long-term illness or in less than 1% of cases, death.


For more information about West Nile virus and what you can do to protect yourself, call 858-694-2888 or visit

Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.