September 19, 2011 – 1:50 p.m. – ECM has received reports of at least 6 serious incidents across our region:
• At Shadow Hills Elementary School, preparations have been made for possible evacuation due to a fire in Harbison Canyon, where multiple strike teams and air support are ordered. Alpine Community Network reports Cal-Fire expects to contain this fire soon.
• In Julian, a head-on accident has shut down lanes at Highway 79 and Chihuahua Valley road with extrication in progress and as of 1:33, medical helicopter at the scene.
• CHP issued a SIG alert for northbound I-5 north of Del Mar Heights Road after a tourist bus fro Mexico caught fire and several accidents occurred as a result.
• IPN reports that a Sunrise Powerlink contractor has been injured in the unincorporated areas and is being transported via private helicopter to a medic unit for transport to a trauma center. ECM has asked SDG&E for details.
• In Fallbrook, a possible fatality helicopter crash has occurred at 601 Ammunition Road. IPN reports the helicopter may be military and a multi-agency response is underway. There is also a brush fire iginited by the crash.
If you are not yet signed up to receive free Viejas Wildfire & Emergency Alerts via email, sign up free at the top right side of our homepage. You may also receive free weekly news from East County Magazine with top news, events and breaking coverage of emergencies. In addition you may receive brief text alerts on your mobile device by following ViejasAlerts on Twitter.com.
We recommend signing up for all of the above at work and school as well as on mobile devices since you don't know what communication will work during an emergency.