NEIGHBORS HELP SAVE RESIDENTS FROM BURNING HOME

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

January 10, 2013 (Casa de Oro) – A  destroyed half of a resident in the 4100 block of Avoyer Place in Casa de Oro this morning.  At first, residents thought smoke in the kitchen area was due to cooking, until one went outside and saw smoke coming from under the garage.  Opening the door, he saw fire erupt into massive flames which quickly spread from the garage into the attic and home. 

“With the screams of ‘fire’, family members began to evacuate,” said Leonard Villareal with San Miguel Fire District.  “Residents inside the home had to carry the elderly female homeowner to safety. Another neighbor entered the home and carried a young woman who was asleep a back bedroom to safety. Another neighbor entered the home and carried a young woman who was asleep in a back bedroom to safety.”

At 9:02 a.m., San Miguel Fire District in cooperation with CAL FIRE, Heartland Fire and American Medical Response were dispatched to a fully involved structure fire in the 4100 block of Avoyer Place. Upon arrival flames were shooting several feet into the air, also igniting a large tree in the front yard. A swift attack kept the blaze on the south half of the home. Although the garage roof did collapse, the fire was stopped, saving half the home from destruction. No other homes were damaged.

Two people were treated on scene, one for a small gash to the forehead, the other for smoke inhalation. Both declined transport. No other injuries were reported.

Early damage estimates are: $250,000 for the structure and $50,000 fir contents. The section of the home that was saved is estimated at having a $150,000 dollar value. Also damaged was one vehicle and a section of fence.

There is no indication from residents that smoke alarms were installed or working. The San Miguel District reminds all San Diego County residents that smoke alarms save lives and reduces fire injuries and death.