Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this
March 5, 2012 (San Diego) -- Cleveland National Forest officials will submit a cooperative grant application to the California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division for 2011/2012 "Green Sticker" grants. Beginning March 5, 2012, the application can be viewed by clicking on the "Grants" tab on the California State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation website at Comments on the application must be received by April 2, 2012.
The Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program provides for well-managed off-highway vehicle recreation in California by giving financial assistance to cities, counties, districts, federal agencies, state agencies, educational institutions, federally recognized Native American Tribes, and nonprofit entities.
According to the State of California website, “All vehicles which are operated on public lands must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles. The registration fee is $52 per vehicle, and is valid for a two-year period. The fees are used for acquisition of new off-highway vehicle areas, development and operation of existing off-highway vehicle areas, enforcement of the rules and regulations, and protection of the natural resources,” ( 
Since 2003, Green Sticker grants have provided funding to help protect, maintain, and enhance the Cleveland National Forest's designated off-highway vehicle program. The Cleveland National Forest currently has two off-highway vehicle areas, Wildomar in Riverside County and Corral Canyon/Bear Valley in San Diego County.
If awarded, grant money would be used for facilities maintenance, signage, wildlife and cultural resource protection, and law enforcement support at off-highway vehicle areas.

Public comments must be submitted to Jake Rodriguez, recreation and lands officer on the Trabuco Ranger District, at, and to California State Parks by using the "Grants" tab on their website at

Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.