It’s been a dry winter so far around San Diego County, but National Weather Service officials say we may be in for some rain early next week.
So this weekend would be a good time to pick up some free sandbags to help protect your home, property and neighborhood from the weather.
San Diego County’s Department of Public Works, the San Diego County Fire Authority and CAL FIRE continue to offer free sand and/or bags at numerous spots around the county.
In addition to the regular locations, people who live in and around the areas that were burned by last month’s Lilac Fire in North County can get free sandbags and other devices to keep soil from washing away — including fiber rolls, gravel bags and native seeds — at the County’s Bonsall Road Station.
The station is located at 2370 Pala Road in Bonsall and will be open Mondays through Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Rain can cause flooding and erosion, especially in areas that are not covered by landscaping, grass, trees, shrubs and other plants. Rain runoff can sweep soil, mud and debris downstream, and damage homes, clog storm drains, culverts and flood and damage roadways.
Using sandbags properly can help direct waters away from homes and properties. People who have slopes on their land can use mulch, or terrace their slopes and plant groundcovers and shrubs to keep them from eroding.
Free sand and bags (just bring a shovel to fill your bags) or free bags are generally available around the clock at the locations listed below, although people should call ahead to check:
Sand and Bags
- Bonita/Sunnyside: 4900 Bonita Road, Bonita, CA 91902 P: 619-479-2346
- Bonsall Road Station: 2370 Pala Road, Bonsall, CA 92003: (See hours listed above)
- Boulevard: 40080 Ribbonwood Road, Boulevard, CA 91905 P: 619-390-2020
- De Luz: 39524 Daily Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-728-3140 *(Not staffed 24/7)
- De Luz: 39431 De Luz Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-728-2422
- Fallbrook: 4375 Pala Mesa Drive, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-723-2024
- Lakeside River Park Conservancy:12108 Industry Road, Lakeside CA 92040 P: 619-443-4770 *(Closed over the weekend)
- Julian: 1587 Highway 78, Julian, CA 92036 P: 760-765-0511
- Palomar Mountain: 21610 Crestline Road, Palomar Mtn., CA 92060 P: 760-742-3701
- Ramona: 3410 Dye Road, Ramona, CA 92065 P: 760-789-0107
- Ramona: 24462 San Vicente Road, Ramona, CA 92065 P: 760-789-9465
- Rincon: 16971 Highway 76, Pauma Valley, CA 92061 P: 760-742-3243
- Valley Center: 28205 N. Lake Wohlford Road, Valley Center, CA 92082 P: 760-751-7605
- Warner Springs: 35227 Highway 79, Warner Springs, CA 92086 P: 760-782-9113
- Alpine: 1364 Tavern Road, Alpine, CA 91901 P: 619-445-2635
- Deer Springs: 1321 Deer Springs Road, San Marcos, CA 92069 P: 760-741-5512 (currently re-stocking)
- Campo: 31577 Highway 94, Campo, CA 91906 P: 619-478-5516 (currently re-stocking)
- Campo (Lake Morena): 29690 Oak Drive, Campo, CA 91906 P: 619-478-5960
- Deer Springs: 8709 Circle R Drive, Escondido, CA 92026 P: 760-749-8001 (currently re-stocking)
- Deer Springs: 10308 Meadow Glen Way East, Escondido, CA 92026 P: 760-751-0820
- Descanso: 9718 River Road, Descanso, CA 91916 P: 619-445-4731
- Dulzura: 17304 Highway 94, Dulzura, CA 91917 P: 619-468-3391
- Jamul (Deerhorn): 2383 Honeysprings Road, Jamul, CA 91935 P: 619-468-3030
- Ocotillo Wells: 5841 Highway 78, Borrego Springs, CA 92004 P: 760-767-7430
- Portrero: 25130 Highway 94, Potrero, CA 91963 P: 619-478-5544
- Ramona (Witch Creek): 27330 Highway 78, Ramona, CA 92065P: 760-789-1448
- Ramona: 829 San Vicente Road, Ramona, CA 92065 P: 760-789-8914 (currently re-stocking)
- Ranchita: 37370 Montezuma Valley Road, Ranchita, CA 92066 P: 760-782-3467 *(Not staffed 24/7)
ReadySanDiego.org’s Flooding webpage has more information about how to protect yourself and your property.
You may also want to check out this how-to video, “You’ve Got Your Sandbags, Now What?” that explains how to properly fill and use sandbags to protect your property.