Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this



By Maryanne Jackson Real Estate Broker CNE. CPRES

March 21, 2019 (La Mesa) -

Dear Maryanne,

I own a property on Fuerte Drive in Mount Helix. With all the rain we have been getting recently, there’s an area in my front yard that has become a stream when it rains. Can I divert this water away from my house? What are some of the most common ways to deal with this?

--Ms. S. T.

Dear Ms. S.T.,

Yes, as a homeowner, you do have the right to divert running water away from your home.

I would recommend hiring a professional landscaping company to get the job done.

It is important that the water is diverted away correctly and away from any neighboring homes. The water should be redirected out to the street and storm drains.

Here are a few landscaping ideas that may help with excess water and further erosion.

  1. Add drainage areas near driveways
  2. Plant grass
  3. Add Mulch
  4. Create a rain garden (plant deep rooted plants)
  5. Dig trenches to redirect the water away from your home and toward the street & storm drains (may require a professional.)
  6. Grade your yard
  7. Add French Drains

To submit a confidential question, email or call 858-740-7858. Maryanne Jackson, #DRE 01784021 Real Estate Broker, CNE, CPRES.

All questions are answered on a first come, first serve basis.


Error message

Local news in the public interest is more important now than ever, during the COVID-19 crisis. Our reporters, as essential workers, are dedicated to keeping you informed, even though we’ve had to cancel fundraising events. Please give the gift of community journalism by donating at


Landscaping With a purpose

Hello, Maryanne gave some perfect pointers on how to find a solution. I have done some projects similar to this before while doing El Cajon landscaping. Take her advice and good luck! Thanks!