Penny now has eight first-team All-America nods
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
December 12, 2017 (San Diego) - San Diego State senior Rashaad Penny (Norwalk, Calif.) was named a first-team All-American by The Sporting News and CBS Sports on Tuesday, and by USA Today late on Monday, bringing his total to eight first-team All-America selections on the season.
Penny, who on Saturday finished fifth in the voting for the Heisman Trophy (most outstanding player in college football), now has earned first-team All-America accolades from three of the All-American teams that the NCAA recognizes - Associated Press, FWAA and The Sporting News - and also was chosen as a second-team pick by Walter Camp. The AFCA releases its team on Wednesday, but with three first-team selections Penny is expected to be named a consensus first-team All-American by the NCAA on Thursday.
Penny, who has also been chosen as a first-team All-American by Sports Illustrated, USA Today, CBS Sports, All-American and Bleacher Report, and a second-team pick by SB Nation and also CBS Sports as an all-purpose player, has rushed for a NCAA FBS-best 2,027 yards and 19 touchdowns on 275 carries (7.4 avg.), while adding 18 catches for 142 yards (7.9 avg.) and two touchdowns, 15 kickoff returns for 459 yards (30.6 avg.) and two touchdowns, and two punt returns for 70 yards (35.0 avg.), including a 70-yard touchdown.
A finalist for the 2017 Walter Camp Player of the Year award, and a semifinalist for the Maxwell Award (college player of the year) and Doak Walker Award (nation’s premier running back), Penny currently leads FBS in rushing yards (2,027), rushing yards per game (168.9), all-purpose yards (2,698) and all-purpose yards per game (224.8), and is second in total touchdowns (24), points (144) and points per game (12.0), tied for third in rushing touchdowns (19), tied for fifth in kickoff return touchdowns (2), sixth in rushing yards per carry (7.4), seventh in kickoff return average (30.6) and tied for 10th in punt return touchdowns (1). Penny has rushed for at least 100 yards in 10 of the team’s 12 games this year and five times has eclipsed 200 yards.
Earlier this month Penny became the first player in Mountain West history to win two player-of-the-year awards when he was named the MW Offensive Player of the Year and the MW Special Teams Player of the Year. He is a two-time Walter Camp FBS National Offensive Player of the Week pick this year, five-time MW Offensive Player of the Week winner and a two-time MW Special Teams Player of the Week.
SDSU (10-2) will play Army West Point (9-3) in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday, Dec. 23 at 2:30 p.m. CT.
Rashaad Penny Postseason Awards
^ All-America teams recognized by the NCAA
- Fifth-place finish in Heisman Trophy voting (most outstanding player in college football)
- Walter Camp Player-of-the-Year finalist
- Maxwell Award semifinalist (college player of the year)
- Doak Walker Award semifinalist (nation’s premier running back)
- ^Associated Press First-Team All-American (running back)
- ^FWAA First-Team All-American (running back)
- ^The Sporting News First-Team All-American (running back)
- Sports Illustrated First-Team All-American (running back)
- USA Today First-Team All-American (running back)
- CBS Sports First-Team All-American (running back)
- All-American First-Team All-American (running back)
- Bleacher Report First-Team All-American (running back)
- ^Walter Camp Second-Team All-American (running back)
- CBS Sports Second-Team All-American (all-purpose)
- SB Nation Second-Team All-American (running back)
- Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year
- Mountain West Special Teams Player of the Year
- All-Mountain West First Team (running back)
- All-Mountain West First Team (returner)
- Pro Football Focus All-Mountain West First Team (running back)