Aztecs compete in pole vault and throws
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
March 18, 2023 (San Diego) - San Diego State track and field sent a small contingent of athletes to the Ross and Sharon Irwin Invitational as the Aztec pole vaulters and throwers made their outdoor season debut Saturday at Point Loma’s meet.
Joining SDSU and PLNU were Navy, Azusa Pacific, Montana State, San Marcos, and Biola, amongst others.
In the hammer throw, Zoe Brosch led the way for San Diego State with an eighth-place finish with a heave of 143 feet (43.60m).
Erica Grotegeer, meanwhile, competed in both the discus throw and the shot put. Grotegeer took third in the discus (151-1 (46.05m)) and came in sixth in the shot put (44-01.50 (13.45m)).
In the pole vault, Ashley Callahan and Corey Friedenbach placed third and fifth, respectively. Callahan vaulted 12-03.25 (3.74m) while Friedenbach cleared 11-09.25 (3.59m).
The Aztecs will return to campus to host the 44th annual Aztec Invitational March 23-25 at the SDSU Aztrack.
Ross and Sharon Irwin Invitational
San Diego, Calif. – PLNU Track
1. Autumn Nicholas (Navy) – 185’ 8” (56.61m)
8. Zoe Brosch (SDSU) – 143’ 0” (43.60m)
1.Maisee Brown (Montana State) – 12-09.00 (3.89m)
3. Ashley Callahan (SDSU) – 12-03.25 (3.74m)
5. Corey Friedenbach (SDSU) –11-09.25 (3.59m)
1. Hannah Richardson (Azusa Pacific) – 47-01.50 (14.36m)
6. Erica Grotegeer (SDSU) – 44-01.50 (13.45m)
1. Natalie Mohring (North Dakota) – 158’ 8” *48.37m)
3. Erica Grotegeer (SDSU) – 151’ 1” (46.05m)