Aztecs earn third straight conference win on Sunday
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
April 7, 2019 (Reno) - San Diego State women’s tennis captured a fourth straight win Sunday with its 4-2 victory over conference foe Nevada. The Aztecs improved their flawless conference record to 3-0 following the match against the Wolf Pack, having done so for the first time since the 2012-13 season.
The Wolf Pack marked their territory to start the dual match by winning the first two of three doubles matches. On court two, senior Magda Aubets and junior Mia Smith gave up a 6-1 decision to Nevada’s Roos Van reek and Adriana Gergelyova, while senior Jenny Moinard and freshman Shakhnoza Khatamova dropped a 6-3 decision to Maria Tatarnikova and Selina Turulja, allowing Nevada to clinch the doubles point.
The Aztecs rallied in singles play as sophomore Nnena Nadozie kept her win streak alive to record a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Melissa Huchet in the third seed, while her doubles partner, freshman Alicia Melosch, topped Tatarnikova 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 5 position.
The Wolf Pack got one back to even the score at two-all with Gergelyova’s close 6-3, 7-6 (4) decision over Khatamova, but Aubets came through in the fourth seed, closing out her second set against Marta Ruedas to finish with a 6-2, 7-5 win and put the Aztecs back on top. Moinard ultimately came through with a three-set decision for the match clinch, finishing with a score of 6-4, 6-7 (2), 6-2 against Van Reek.
With her singles win, sophomore Nnena Nadozie logs a team-high 12th singles victory this season (12-4 overall) and remains the sole Aztec with a perfect record in conference play in doubles and singles (matches finished) at 5-0. She and senior Magda Aubets each logged their third straight singles wins in the contest.
THE NOTE II
The Aztecs record a fourth straight victory with Sunday’s win and remain flawless in Mountain West play heading into next weekend’s match against UNLV. The 3-0 start in conference play marks the first time the Aztecs have done so since the spring of 2013.
San Diego State (12-7, 3-0 MW) prepares for two home contests next weekend, first when it plays its last regular season MW match against UNLV next Saturday, April 13, followed by a Sunday contest versus CSUN on April 14. First serve in both of next weekend’s events is set for noon at the Aztec Tennis Center.
San Diego State 4, Nevada 2
April 7, 2019
McArthur Tennis Center (Reno, Nev.)
1. Anastaysha Gorbacheva/Marta Ruedas (NV) vs. #77 Nnena Nadozie/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 3-4, unfinished
2. Roos Van reek/Adriana Gergelyova (NV) def. Magda Aubets/Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-1
3. Maria Tatarnikova/Selina Turulja (NV) def. Jenny Moinard/Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3
NV wins doubles point
1. Adriana Gergelyova (NV) def. Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. Jenny Moinard (SDSU) def. Roos Van reek (NV) 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 6-2
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Melissa Huchet (NV) 6-1, 6-3
4. Magda Aubets (SDSU) def. Marta Ruedas (NV) 6-2, 7-5
5. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Maria Tatarnikova (NV) 6-3, 6-3
6. Anastaysha Gorbacheva (NV) vs. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) 5-7, 6-4, 2-5, unfinished
Order of finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 2*
* Match clinching dual