Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
February 12, 2022 (San Diego) - The San Diego State women’s tennis team ran its home win streak to eight matches and continued its best start since at least 1994, with a 7-0 victory over Cal Poly. The Aztecs improved to 5-1 this season and have outscored its opposition 27-5 during that stretch.
"I was really proud of our effort today, especially given the heat and the quick turnaround from our match yesterday,” San Diego State head coach Peter Mattera said. “The doubles matches were really close, and we made a great comeback from 5-3 down at No. 3 to secure the always important doubles point, giving us that boost of energy heading into singles. We played very well in all the singles points and swept a very solid Cal Poly team.
“We are looking forward to another couple great matches next week here at home against Hawai’i and California.”
San Diego State’s concludes its four-match homestand next week with critical matches against Hawai’i and California. The Aztecs will face the Warriors on Friday at 2 p.m. PT and the Golden Bears on Sunday at noon PT> Both matches are open to the public and admission is free.
Women’s Tennis: San Diego State 7, Cal Poly 0
1. No. 80 Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (SDSU) def. Kim Bhunu (CP) – 6-1, 6-2
2. Tamara Arnold (SDSU) def. Melissa LaMette (CP) – 6-4, 6-3
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) def. Emily Ackerman (CP) – 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Regina Pitts (SDSU) def. Delanie Dunkle (CP) – 6-1, 6-3
5. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Shreya Ravilla (CP) – 6-4, 7-6 (3)
6. Julia Jordan (SDSU) def. Eliza Bates (CP) – 6-2, 6-4
1. Bunyawi Thamchaiwat / Tamara Arnold (SDSU) def. Emily Ackerman / Kim Bhunu (CP) – 6-4
2. Delanie Dunkle / Melissa LaMette (CP) def. Nnena Nadozie / Alicia Melosch (SDSU) – 6-3
3. Regina Pitts / Cécile Morin (SDSU) def. Eliza Bates / Peyton Dunkle (CP) - 7-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3)
Team Records: San Diego State (5-1), Cal Poly (3-3)