Aztecs earn third win in a row
Photo courtesy goaztecs.com
March 17, 2023 (San Diego) - San Diego State women’s tennis beat Purdue 4-3 at the Aztec Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. The Aztecs won the doubles point, before earning three wins in singles play.
The Aztecs (7-4) earned a tightly contested doubles point on Friday. With a shuffled doubles lineup, SDSU took the point over the Boilermakers (11-2) in dramatic fashion. After a new lineup of Dariya Detkovskaya and Julia Jordan fell on court three, the Aztecs earned wins on both of the other doubles courts. Andreea Velcea and Andjela Skrobonja earned a win on court two 6-4 before Rania Azziz and Alicia Melosch clinched the point for SDSU on court one. The duo initially fell behind in their match before coming back to win 6-4 and give the Aztecs a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
As for singles play, five different Aztecs went to three sets on Friday afternoon. Purdue quickly tied things up at 1-1, when Azziz fell in straight sets 6-4, 6-2. After that it was back and forth the rest of the afternoon as all five other matches went three sets. The next to finish was Melosch’s on court three. Despite falling 6-3 in the first set, Melosch battled back in the second, winning it 6-4 before falling in the third set, and Purdue took a 2-1 lead overall.
After that the Aztecs gained momentum. Detkovskaya, fresh off her inaugural Mountain West Player of the Week honors, tied the match at two all for SDSU. She dropped her first set, 6-1 before rallying in dramatic fashion. She earned the set two win 6-3, before battling to her ninth singles win of the year in the third set 6-2. Skrobonja on court one was next to finish in a fiery contest. The transfer also initially dropper her first set, 6-2, before coming from behind in the second and third sets, giving the Aztecs a 3-2 advantage with two matches left to play. Purdue would win on court six to tie the match at 3-3 before the Aztecs prevailed in dramatic fashion on court five. Cecile Morin then came up with the clinching point for the Aztecs for the second straight match. She fell 5-7 in the first set before earning back-to-back set wins in the second and third, 6-4 and 6-3 respectively, to clinch the Aztecs third straight win.
Up Next: The Aztecs wrap up their five match homestand on Tuesday when they take on Dartmouth. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
The Stat: The Aztecs won their third straight match on Friday afternoon, and beat their fourth ranked opponent of the season.
1. Andjela Skrobonja (SDSU) def. Liz Norman (Purdue), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 108 Dariya Detkovskaya (SDSU) def. Csilla Fodor (Purdue), 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Carmen Gallardo (Purdue) def. Alicia Melosch (SDSU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
4. Tara Katarina Milic (Purdue) def. Rania Azziz (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Cecile Morin (SDSU) vs. Kennedy Gibbs (Purdue), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Juana Larranaga (Purdue) def. Andreea Velcea (SDSU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
1. Rania Azzia/Alicia Melosch (SDSU) def. Liz Norman/Csilla Fodor (Purdue), 6-4
2. Andreea Velcea/Andjela Skrobonja (SDSU) def. Carmen Gallardo/Tara Katarina Milic (Purdue), 6-4
3. Kennedy Gibbs/Juana Larranaga (Purdue) def. Dariya Detkovskaya/Julia Jordan (SDSU), 6-2