Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version Share this

By Erika Lawrence

Social Security District Manager, El Cajon

February 19, 2013 (El Cajon)--Do you know where your Social Security card is located? Hopefully, it’s in a safe place, tucked away securely with your other important papers. It certainly should not be in your purse or wallet and should not be carried with you every day since it can be more valuable than cash to an identity thief.

Do you know your Social Security number? Chances are you have it memorized. If you know your number, you may never need your card again. It is the number, not the card, that is most important. In the event that you lose your Social Security card and really need a replacement, you can find out all the details on how to obtain a replacement card and what specific documents you need to provide at Each situation is unique, but in most cases you simply need to print, complete, and either mail or bring the application to Social Security with the appropriate documentation (originals or certified copies only).

If you need to apply for a Social Security card and number for your child, you can do that the same way, and get the specific information at the same website. In almost all cases, though, an application for your infant’s Social Security card and number is taken in the hospital at the same time that you apply for your baby’s birth certificate.

Why does a baby need a Social Security number? There are a number of reasons, but the main one is so that you can claim your child as a dependent on your tax return. Social Security numbers are also needed for children to apply for certain government and social service benefits.

As you prepare for tax season, just around the corner, make sure the kids (and all the dependents) that you list on your annual tax return have Social Security numbers. If you want to claim your child as a dependent on your tax return (and who doesn’t?) your child will need a Social Security number. Note that all dependents listed on your federal tax return will need Social Security numbers, including a dependent parent who lives with you and receives support from you.

Learn more about Social Security at And learn more about your Social Security card and number at, where you can print out an application and find out everything you need for your specific situation.

Error message

Support community news in the public interest! As nonprofit news, we rely on donations from the public to fund our reporting -- not special interests. Please donate to sustain East County Magazine's local reporting and/or wildfire alerts at to help us keep people safe and informed across our region.