By Gig Conaughton, County of San Diego Communications Office
July 22, 2019 (San Diego) - The sun is shining, but weather forecasts say summer storms could possibly create heavy rains and flooding in the mountains and deserts this week, meaning this could be a good time to stock up on free sandbags.
The County of San Diego and CAL FIRE are providing free sand and bags to residents in unincorporated areas at numerous fire stations around the county.
Rain can cause flooding and erosion, particularly in areas that aren’t covered by plants, landscaping, grass and trees. That includes areas covered by concrete or laid bare by drought or fire.
Rain runoff can sweep topsoil, mud, plant material and debris off land and downstream where it can damage homes, clog culverts and storm drains, and flood and damage roadways.
Sand and bags, or bags alone, will be available for unincorporated residents at the fire stations located below.
Bring a shovel to fill the bags and call ahead to double-check availability. Some stations may have a limited supply.
Sand and Bags
- Bonita/Sunnyside: 4900 Bonita Road, Bonita, CA 91902 P: 619-479-2346
- Boulevard: 40080 Ribbonwood Road, Boulevard, CA 91905 P: 619-390-2020
- De Luz: 39524 Daily Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-728-3140 *(Not staffed 24/7)
- Fallbrook: 4375 Pala Mesa Drive, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-723-2024
- Julian: 1587 State Route 78, Julian CA 92036 (760) 765-0511
- Lakeside River Park Conservancy:12108 Industry Road, Lakeside CA 92040 P: 619-443-4770 *(Closed over the weekend)
- Ramona: 3410 Dye Road, Ramona, CA 92065 P: 760-789-0107
- Ramona: 24462 San Vicente Road, Ramona, CA 92065 P: 760-789-9465
- Rincon: 16971 Highway 76, Pauma Valley, CA 92061 P: 760-742-3243
- Valley Center: 28205 N. Lake Wohlford Road, Valley Center, CA 92082 P: 760-751-7605
- Warner Springs: 35227 Highway 79, Warner Springs, CA 92086 P: 760-782-9113
- Alpine: 1364 Tavern Road, Alpine, CA 91901 P: 619-445-2635
- Deer Springs: 1321 Deer Springs Road, San Marcos, CA 92069 P: 760-741-5512
- De Luz: 39431 De Luz Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028 P: 760-728-2422
- Campo: 31577 Highway 94, Campo, CA 91906 P: 619-478-5516
- Campo (Lake Morena): 29690 Oak Drive, Campo, CA 91906 P: 619-478-5960
- De Luz: 39431 De Luz Road, Fallbrook, CA. 92028 P: 760-728-2422
- Descanso: 24592 Viejas Grade Road, Descanso, CA 91916 P: 619-445-7508 (currently out of bags)
- Dulzura: 17304 Highway 94, Dulzura, CA 91917 P: 619-468-3391
- El Cajon: 551 Harbison Canyon Rd, El Cajon, CA 92019 P: 619-445-5001
- Jacumba: 1255 Jacumba St., Jacumba, CA 91934 P: 619-766-4535
- Jamul (Deerhorn): 2383 Honeysprings Road, Jamul, CA 91935 P: 619-468-3030
- Jamul: 14024 Peaceful Valley Ranch Rd, Jamul, CA 91935 P: 619-669-6580
- Julian: (Shelter Valley) 72160 Great Southern Overland, Julian, CA 92036 760-765-0155
- Ocotillo Wells: 5841 Highway 78, Borrego Springs, CA 92004 P: 760-767-7430
- Palomar Mountain: 21610 Crestline Road, Palomar Mtn., CA 92060 P: 760-742-3701
- Pine Valley: 28850 Old Highway 80, Pine Valley, CA 91962 P: 619-578-6621
- Ramona: (Intermountain) 25858 A Highway 78, Ramona, CA 92065 P: 760-789-3710
- Ranchita: 37370 Montezuma Valley Road, Ranchita, CA 92066 P: 760-782-3467 *(Not staffed 24/7)
- San Pasqual: 17701 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92025 P: 858-573-1322
ReadySanDiego.org's flooding webpage has more information about how to protect yourself and your property. You may also want to check out this how-to video, "You've Got Your Sandbags, Now What?" that explains how to properly fill and use sandbags to protect your property.